round-up over buffalo grass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jason Rose, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I had a call from someone today, wanted to pick my brain. Said they had a Bermuda and buffalo grass mixed lawn and wanted to spray round-up to kill the weeds. I know the Bermuda is dormat and can be sprayed but I didn't know about the buffalo. I told her probably not to spray it since fescue and bluegrass can be killed out when it's dormant and I knew that buffalo is even more sensitive than those... Iv'e never actully tried to maintain buffalo grass, Iv'e mowed it many times and it just grows where it grows, but actually trying to feed and keep weeds out of it in a lawn setting I haven't tried. Like I said I know you can't really use herbicides on it when it's growing but I didn't know about when it was dormant.

this isn't a real improtant life or death question, just kinda had me curious...
  2. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

You can spray buffalograss with roundup now. It is a warm season grass. The buffalograss is dormant like the bermuda. But watch carfully. If you hit it too late and it is emerging you will wipe it out. Bermuda can handle a late shot of roundup but not buffalograss at all. Hope this helps.