Round up price

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Jun 13, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I was doing my round 2 today, customer wanted me to spray some roundup. I price it at $50 per 3 Gallon backpack, am I too cheap?
    I was already there so no travel time.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. that's about right on for us. I get about 15/gal.. Don't forget your man hour time, as well.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Same here!

I would rather spray Gly then anything. Low input cost ($.30/gallon)...and the customer can't buy it that cheap at the store. So it is a good deal for everyone. I charge about the same as you guys!

Plus, we have to remember that it isn't just the fert, chem etc that costs so much anymore.... its the GAS to get there!

4. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

that's pretty close to what most companies are charging, Monasanto announced a big shortage over the next couple of years and round up pro will be no longer next year, they have a new formulation coming out, it will have potassium instead of phosphurus, this will also help with the shortage and the price increases, product works just as well according to field studies.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I base my Round-Up work on time spent, rather than strictly quantity. Because I'd rather blanket spray 20 gallons than spot spray 2...

I charge (not telling the customer this, of course) $100/hr + chemical cost.

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

That's where I'm at, with a backpack. Aint no way I'm only charging $50/ 3 gallons to spot spray weeds in a bunch of beds:dizzy: It could take a while to go through 3 gallons! On larger areas where I'm using a boom sprayer I'm close to the $15/ gallon though:)

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I ONLY use Gly on driveways....or wide open spaces.

I NEVER spray Gly around any beds or ornamentals. Just asking for trouble IMO.

I bet I can spray out 3 gallon in less then 10 minutes. That is good money!

8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

That's not a bad policy because there is a high potential for problems but on the other hand with my maintenance accounts there is no way I'm going to start hand pulling weeds on a regular basis :). I put a pressure regulator on that keeps it at 5 or 10 psi I don't remember what it's set at but the drift is down about as low as you can get.

9. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

put a cup on the end of your back pack to spray the beds. You know you got a cup laying around from Burger King or somewhere. Put a whole in the bottom, stick the spray tip in the whole, and duck tape if needed. Works wonders and you don't have to worry about drift.

10. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

If you had some full service accounts w/ bed weeding, you'd be spraying in the beds!

I'd rather spray em, than pull em!

If you don't want to hurt it, don't spray it! :)

If it's windy, don't spray!