Round Up Pro Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SkyCaptain, Apr 19, 2008.

1. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

I use roundup weed and grass killer for mulch beds. I was in Lowe's today and seen the Pro for $158. Is it any better than reg weed and grass killer or is the price for the larger quantity?

2. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Pre emergent. Control will effect ungerminated weed before they emerge.

3. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

You can find a better price, I think I pay around 115, for a 2.5 gallon jug. You will see the results faster with pro, than regular, usually with 35 hours

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Buy the cheapest gly you can!

I always say....how can you get better then a great kill?

The generic gly with surfactant works just as good as anything!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you're talking about and I'm not sure either...
    The cheapest I know of is the Super Concentrate gallon with the purple cap for $100'ish...
    The Pro MIGHT be cheaper but the super is what I've always bought because I never could make heads or tails of the mix ratios on the Pro...

Either one, it's about how many gallons of mix we get out of it AFTER we add water, that's what it boils down to.

6. greenman099

greenman099 LawnSite Member

Check the % gly, then compare prices for the amount of a.i. that you're buying. Some is 20%, some is 40%, so you get twice the gly on the second one.

7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

the main importance of pro vs any other at least here in the south is that
    it is rainfast in an hour. Most knockoffs are 2-6. That means a lot when you spend time on important clients. There are surfactants in pro that no others have even prosecutor pro.

8. xdamxincx

xdamxincx LawnSite Member

pardon my lack of knowledge here but what is GLY and where can i purchase it ?

9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

GLY is short for glyphosate, the main ingredient in non-selective herbicides such as Roundup. I've been using RazorPro at 4 oz. per gallon and it still doesn't knock down weeds as fast as Roundup Pro at 2 oz. per gallon. I'll probably go back to using Roundup.

10. xdamxincx

xdamxincx LawnSite Member

i have done a lil more research on here .. i see what gly is now ..
    but what are people using and where are they buying it..
    i saw some guys posting they used to get it off ebay . but now the price is crazy there.