1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Round-up ready turf

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hertelbr, Dec 5, 2001.

1. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

Has anybody heard about the patenting of Round-up ready turf?

I have heard some rumors at Michigan State University, that some cultivars are being studied. Think of the possibilities!
    Good or Bad?

Round-up is a safer product to the environment than many of the broadleaf herbicides.

No more grassy weeds

What effect will this have on fert. companys

Sure hate to apply to the wrong address

How about tank residuals on other applications if not sterilized.
  2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

American industry will do anything to make a buck. The Roundup ready turf idea would be a great moneymaker, in theory.

Turf scientists and knowledgeable people in the field dread the idea. Nature is always adapting; resistance to pesticides in the past has come from target pests adapting so they are not affected by the pesticide. So after a few years of using Roundup ready turf, using Roundup as a broadcast spray to control all weeds, you will have some weeds adapting. Then, when these mutants are not susceptable to Roundup, how will you get rid of them?????
  3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

They have been doing it to field crops for years. It was only a matter of time.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Round up ready turf Sounds great and I believe it can happen. As green Quest stated it has already happen in agi crops check out
    Labeling website Roundup is also used as a growth regular on field turf between fruit trees. Interesting enough it is also effective as a select weed killer when applied at growth regular rate.
  5. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Round Up ready turf would suck! I enjoy chemical edgeing and that would do away with that!
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

What do you mean by "chemical edging"? Killing 2 inches of grass along a walk or drive?
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Label website
    Hope this works I did not check my first post to see if it worked.

Groundsguy Roundup can be mixed at different rates to do different jobs. You could still edge with roundup Just have to mix it stronger or Mix it weaker when using it as a select herbicide. I have used roundup as a select herbicide on turf already just mix it weaker. It works great on sandspur and other broadleaf in warm season turf. The trouble with roundup is it is a grass killer so if you mix it above 1% A.I. you not only kill the undisreable grass but the turf also. Roundup has been used for years on turf as a growth regular. Roundup is also a tree killer just mix it 20% A.I. with hortcultural oil.

All chemicals come with a label that is law. labeling is the label plus other information supplied by the manufacturer. That should of been a test question on your lic exam. read all of the labeling on roundup it is a wonderful product.
  8. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

You can use Roundup on dormant bermuda grass.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yes but do not mix stronger than .5% A.I. or 1.5 oz of 41% round up per gallon. You will not kill bemurda but may see decline. also remember at this rate you may not kill undisirable weeds in bemurda. Good luck
  10. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Where I live our grow season is such that Round up doesn't work that well, so I can't imagine anything even less than 2% working! It's a unique climate I reside in...things grow year round. If you can use it the way you say- that's super cool because it is SO SAFE!!! How do you apply it and on what footage? :)