Round Up resistant weed??

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by redspot321, Jul 21, 2013.

1. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

Ive been trying for months to kill these suckers. They seen to be showing up more and more in the area....Roundup does nothing at even the highest rates.

What will kill it?

weed.jpg

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Glad hear what it is I never seen that around here
    I never found anything that I couldn't kill with Roundup

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Might try something like scythe or finale

4. chobbs1957

chobbs1957 LawnSite Member

There are several annual and some perennial weeds that Roundup has never been all that good on, like morningglory. In farmer fields, we are seeing more and more true resistance coming up as we use more and more of it, usually it's small seeded species like palmer amaranth pigweed, marestail (horseweed), Italian ryegrass.

I think what you have there is some kinds of spurge. A brush killer product with 2,4D or other phenoxy will probably be much more effective on this thing.

5. That is artillery fern and i have killed it with 4 oz/gal sprayed 2 times 1 week apart. My buddy also said 2 oz/gal plus sure guard will burn it

6. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Did it burn when you sprayed it? Or just not phase it at all?

7. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

Go organic and use a weed dragon product. I use them and they do kill weeds all the way down to the roots. Any weeds 1 - 4 inches in height usually die the first go. Broad leafs are more susceptible to flame weeding than grasses. Yes, weeds larger than 4 inches require multiple applications to kill but you'll be doing things without roundup which is a toxic product created by a corrupt company. I'm sure it will kill that weed. Did I mention that it runs on propane, a 'green' fuel?

8. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

I can get it to yellow and even burn. I've tried heavy doses at 3-4 days apart. will look at other recommendations listed.

Thanks

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Aqua Neat which is a 59% gly product kills it.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Have a look at this: http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/resrpts/rh_94_7.htm Artillery weed is a common pest in well watered landscapes in Hawaii too. Not really a problem in nursery production because most growers use Ronstar G as a preemergent control in the pots of stock. I do know that Sureguard or Diquat will also kill artillery weed. Glyphosate might yellow or stunt the weed at high rates, but a little Diquat combined with the label rate of either Sureguard or Ronstar Flo means the weed is dead fast and not coming back for a long time.