round-up sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by glenjr10, Jul 11, 2003.

1. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

I am studying to take my pesticide license test, and am trying to plan my business. I have searched for spray rigs, and Most that I find are to large for my current needs.

I was wondering what everyone used to spray round-up? Do you clean your tank out after each use, or leave the round-up in, (it would be the only spray used).

Reason that I am doing this, is because i mow a few yards with gravel parking lots, and the clean look of a gravel parking lot looks a lot better than straggling grass lines IMO.

Any help would do.

Thanks in advance.

2. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a backpack sprayer. I use it for weed spray in beds, curbs, etc. I put in large letters on it Round-UP, So everyone knows thats what that tank is for only. I have many back pack sprayers with labels on them to tell everyone there specified use.(I find it just easier than having to cleaning it out throughly when useing different pesticides). I do have a 300 gallon sprayer but never used round-up in it. Just clean tank out 3 or 4 times and it should be fine.

3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

back pack for small jobs, 25 gal electric pump w 100' hose for larger jobs.

4. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

rob,
    do you leave the excess roundup in the sprayer.

kickin,
    what size hose do you use, and what type pump are you using.

I know it will depend on my location, but approximately what do you charge per 1000, and about how much liquid will you use in that 1000 sq ft.

Thanks for your input

5. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

what do yall use to clean you sprayer and tank between different
    chemicals?

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I use a hand held or backpack sprayer for small areas. For larger areas (like parking lots), I use a hose end sprayer in place of my chemlawn gun. That way, no roundup is ever in my tank.

Mike

7. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

Please explain more about the hose end sprayer................... very interesting!

It's got to beat mixing back pack sprayers for large stone areas to be treated with round up.

Thanks,

ChicagoLawn

8. Grassmechanic

Sure, basically I'm using my 200 gallon spray tank as a water source. I fill it with water only. I then remove the chemlawn gun and screw a hose end sprayer in it's place. I then fill the hose end reservoir with the roundup and spray away. This way I don't have to worry about roundup residue in my tank.

Mike

9. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

Mike,

Thanks for the quick response!

I understand the mechanics of the hose end sprayer you describe, but I'm having a hard time picturing what type you are using?

Can you post a picture or a link to a web site so I can view?

Are using dry or liquid Round-Up concentrate?

Which works best?

Appreciate your expertise!

ChicagoLawn

10. Grassmechanic

ChicagoLawn, I'm sorry I don't have a camera. I use an Ortho Dial 'n Spray hose end sprayer. I use liquid Roundup (actually Honcho). I've never used dry R-up, so I can't answer your question as to which works the best. The method is quite simple, if you've used a hose end sprayer before. The only thing different is that the hose I'm using is 300' long and driven by my spray rig pump. HTH.

Mike