Round Up vs Rototilling

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dreamlawnllc, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dreamlawnllc

dreamlawnllc LawnSite Member

I have new construction lawns where customers wait 2 to 3 months before putting in a new lawn. In that time the dirt has been taken over by weeds. We do hydroseeding, so we want a weed free and dirt lawn before we spray. I was thinking mowing the weeds down really low, collecting the clippings and then using a pull behind counter rotating tiller to kill the weeds which will prepare the soil bed. Or would it be better to use Round up, mow the weeds down collect them, and then till? My understanding is that tilling kills the weeds immediately, so if that is the case I could save myself an extra step by not doing the round up. Please give me the best advice!

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

dreamlawnllc

IMHO I like to Roundup first and let the Weeds die completely before tilling. I feel the Weeds clumps break up easier if they are dead and dried up. I also like to Drag the Area with two railroad ties held together with chain link fence to level the area after tilling.

3. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I round up and wait for the weeds to die. Wait 2-3 weeks to see if there is any new growth or any of the old struggling to survive, spray those. The till it! level and go to seeding or sodding. Hope that helps!

4. dreamlawnllc

dreamlawnllc LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric and Turf Professionals for the info!

5. McCallum & Sons

McCallum & Sons LawnSite Member

Round-up the weeds first. Then you can till the area after the weeds are completely killed. Make sure to wait at least 2 weeks after round-up before hydroseeding or sodding. Tilling weeds that are actively growing may pull up the foliage of weeds and some of the root system, however, some weeds have rhizomes or tubers that are left under the surface. Over time you can bet on weeds re-emerging through your newly seeded or sodded lawn. Preperation is everything. Take the extra time to ensure a desired outcome.

6. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

We always go with Procescutor first and then Harley Rake. It has more favorable results then just tilling.

7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Round-up everything then wait about 10-14 days for everything to die. Use a harley rake on a dingo for a small area or a harley rake on a bobcat for bigger areas. The harley rakes do a better job than a tiller and they are a lot easier to use than a back breaking tiller!

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Boats and Tadams,

This is off the subject a little...but I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about getting a Harley Rake and have a couple questions.
    I have decided to go with the skidloader and Harley route. What kind and size(hp) of Skid and Harley are you using?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Roundup kills the perennial grassy weeds like quack and fescue. After everything is dead the soil will work up nicer and easier.

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need to till down deep for hydro-seeding. Roundup to kill tough weeds, wait a week, then scarify to loosened the upper inch or two. There is no need to make more work for yourself especially considering the rough grade that results from a full till.

Here's a Toro Dingo with a cultivator that leaves a perfect seed bed. Notice that we had just rototilled this soil & it would have been a disaster to hand rake:

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=63418