Round-Up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Moretta Lawn Care, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Moretta Lawn Care

Moretta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

It has always been my understanding that you don't need licensing to spray herbicides that you can get over the counter (at Home Depot, etc.) Am I right? When I was reading in another thread someone was asking if they should spray weeds in the cracks of drives and someone else told them to make sure that they were licensed. Am I correct on this or not? THANKS!

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

if you want to spray any pesticide (round up, weed-b-gone, etc.) on another person's lawn you need a license.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If you are a commercial cutter it's breaking the law,the only way is to do it for free.

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Not in Arizona , they recently changed the law , no licenes needed .
    It's gone back and forth 3 time in 15 years .

Sooooo , more to Arizona

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check with your local authorities. All states are different. Here in CT we have a number of different licenses depending on the type of work. Turf and shrub, arborist, structural, golf course, etc. Around here, a lawn mower can get fined for spraying a hornets nest on a customer's property. Even if you don't charge for killing the nest, you are on the property for pay.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

http://npic.orst.edu/state1.htm

Here is the link to find out about being licensed in all states. Click the state you are in and it will tell you the regulations. I believe you need to be licensed and insured to apply pesticides. Yes roundup is a pesticide. The weeds are the pest.....

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Careful. Doing it for free is not the answer. It is written in most states that if you perform the service for hire OR as an element of your services...(Not the exact wording, but it is written as that)...

8. Gbug

Gbug LawnSite Member

Cant you claim you are doing it as a hobby to help out a friend? Thought I heard that somewhere....

9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have ever been compensated for a lawn mowing in any fashion and apply chemical to that lawn then you are maintaining the lawn for profit and need a license . if you have never touched a lawn before but are asked to spray it and you are doing it for free of charge then you are still being compensated by experience . as far as the dept. of ag. is concerned you will be charged for applying w/out a license .