round up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BigLag, Aug 27, 2007.

1. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

I've been using round up concentrate-brush killer in this ditch...it'll kill the weeds, but after about 2 weeks, they are back again. the ditch does hold water so i can't mow it. is there another weed killer better than round up, or is this just a problem i'll just have to deal with because of the water in the ditch?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

all roundup does is kill weeds. it does not sterilize the soil. and if you have a wet area, your water loving weeds will keep coming back.

I'd be real hesitant about spraying too much in a drainage ditch. you kill the weeds/grass, and now the water flows faster and begins taking exposed soil with it. and now you have erosion...

3. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

You also need to worry about poluting the water if it drains off into any water natural water flows

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say,...If you are spraying pesticides in a waterway, growing grass or weeds is the LEAST of your worries.:nono: :dizzy:

5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Try our Everything Must Go!

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

If you are spraying in an area that drains or retains water and contamination occurs you are in deep do - do.
    There are several aquatic vegetative control herbicides on the market - I'd check with the local extension agent to see which one is best suited to this situation.
    Presuming you do have a license - right?