1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WALKERMOW, May 7, 2003.

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have sprayed Roundup and seeded the same day. I have never had a problem.
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch! I don't know about THAT! I know that Roundup does have a residual effect. For how long, I don't know. I've heard 2 weeks. But if you're doing a sod job after applying round-up, then chances are you're amending the soil anyway. So as long as the soil that's directly under the sod doesn't have any round-up, you should be fine.

We've done this lots of times; apply round-up on weeds where sod is going to go. Wait a week. Remove or trim dead weeds. Amend soil. Add new sod. So doing that, I've applied sod only 1 week after the round-up application. And we've never had a problem with that process. But then again, we're amending the soil and the top inch or two is all new topsoil or sandy loam.
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

As soon as it dries it should not have any effect on the sod. Round up works from the leaf of the plant so if it is dry you should not have a problem. Soil is not effected at all.

If you spray a small tree with round up and after it dries the tree falls over and lands on grass it is not going to kill the grass.
  5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Just untill it dries. It's a Translocating Herbicide.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I forgot to add that I would still wait if possible. But if the job has to be done right away you should not have a problem. I have always waited for the plant to die which is usually a week anyway.

Like jimlewis said you are probably going to want to prep the area or are you going to just plop the sod on top of the dieing weeds.
  7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that the chemical has to be moved throughout the plant to be effective. This means that if you sod immediately and smother the treated plants, the RoundUp won't work as well.
  8. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Many times I wait just to ensure the junk I am killling off is in fact dead, and not because it will harm any seed/or sod. As already mentioned until it dries will work, but there are benefits of waiting to ensure a thorough kill.
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

A licensed applicator wouldn't have to ask this question. Read the label.
  10. jbrink01

jbrink01 LawnSite Member

Amen man. If it's a chemical, read the label. We spray roundup, wait till "burndown" and seed directly into the same field.