round-up?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by VMAX, Apr 25, 2004.

1. VMAX

VMAX LawnSite Member

just picked up a new job on saturday,small lawn 1/3 acre.
    all weeds and moss hardly no grass.
    so my question is can put round up down to kill off the weeds and mold? and still be safe to till up ground and replant new grass seed?
    how long do i have to wait to plant grass seed? if i can use round -up.
    thanks,jeff

2. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

Not trying to be a smart ass, but if you read the label, as any licensed sprayer would do, you will find the answers..

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

amen.......................

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe the label states that you must wait 10 days before planting .

I don't think moss is on the label and doesn't matter as long as something labeled is there.

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do people say this, when it's not so? Hey, I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass, given a choice.

Let's tell him, instead of crucifying him. In most states, although the homeowner can legally purchase and spray all sorts of nasty stuff on their own property,we as professionals(anyone who gets paid to do it) can not legally do it for them without proper training and certification. In most localities, this includes roundup. Yes, this sucks. But, it is the law.
    Ask your county agent for details as to the laws in your state, or perhaps someone from your home state will respond positively to this thread.
    Don't break the law, even though many others are willing to do so. Perhaps you could talk to the owner of the property, and have him spray it.
    Crawdad

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, you need to be licensed to spray R-up in MI. You can seed right after you apply R-up.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Grassmechanic

Read the label. The Label is the law.

crawdad

I am not trying to be a smart ass either BUT. morons, idiots, fools and bozos only understand a two by four applied up side their head.

How many threads have you seen here on Lawnsite where these Morons argue the law because they can buy products at Home Cheapo???

8. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Grassmec,

I noticed that you said seeding can be done right after roundup is applied.
    Is this from experience?
    Do you actually seed on the same day or wait a bit?
    I have heard that seeding can be done on the same day.
    The idea being that roundup will work quickly and be gone before seed germinates.
    Is that true?

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, from experience, lab study that I was in at MSU, and from field trials at Monsanto. Monsanto labels state to wait, mostly due to field crops germinating differently than turfgrass (monocot vs. dicot). We've generally sprayed, waited to dry, then seeded with excellent results. R-up is broken down in the soil within 24-48 hrs., depending on soil type and environmental conditions. This was done one cool season turf.

10. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Grassmechanic is right. I have had the same experience with seeding the next day after a Round up application. I learned this from field trials at OSU. However, the label is the law and (for now) the label still states wait 10 days.
    David