1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Roundup as a Growth Regulator???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TScapes, Apr 6, 2005.

1. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone heard of this? Supposively it is done on golf courses due to the cost factor versus Primo and other PGR's for turf. A friend of mine has a property that has a hillside that he is thinking of using pgr to help cut back on the number of mowings. They have to weedeat a majority of it now, as it is too uneven to mow.
    Was curious as if anyone had used this formulation, and if so, what rate and what results did you have.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have made many posts about this. Do a search. It is done in agriculture on a regular bases. I no longer own a lawn mower and Roundup my own nursery.
  3. TScapes

Thanks for the info.... never thought to do a search. I guess I didn't think many people would ever think about RU as a pgr.
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

R-up was actually developed initially for use as a PGR.
  5. TScapes

I read that in doing a search of previous threads. I found that to be quite interesting, especially since Monsato has made Billions on it for what I now learned is an after effect.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I believe .5 oz per 1000 sf. Is this right Ric?
  7. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

i think it is 16 oz per acre for bermuda

8 oz per acre for fescue
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yep .5 per gallon and a gallon per 1,000 sg feet is a great starting point for most turfs. I have common Bermuda and go a little higher. I have a Mono Stand of weed free turf and will on occasion add in some 2-4-D for the really hard weeds along the fence lines. Now in the middle of the rainy season I will hire a scrub to mow one time. :D but in general most of the year I just chemically mow. I will also knock it back with DiQuat on occasion.

You are one of the few who actually took the time to do a search. Good for you. I would be willing to answer any Questions you may have if I can.

BTW Roundup in the most Financially successful Pesticide in the history of Pesticides.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Common Bermuda can take up to 88 oz per acre and still make a come back however it is stunned very bad. I use 44 oz per acre.

Sorry I am warm season guy, so I can't tell you about Fescue.
  10. TScapes

I was wondering.... if I have a steep bank that has to be weedeated due to the steepness of the slope, could RU be applied as a pgr? I was talking to an individual that works for a chemical distributor (remains nameless) and mentioned the idea of using a pgr on this area, he told me that using Embark or Attrimec, etc wouldn't work due to the fact that it would not slow down the weeds that are present. I asked about RU and he said he was not sure on its results. I then called a Monsato Rep and asked her the same question, she gave me the same response.... saying that it would not work due to the weeds.

This area goes down to a large pond, so chemical suppression has to be applied carefully due to the wildlife in the area. That being said, once a buffer of 10-15' is set, do you think that the RU would suppress the weeds as well as the turf?