roundup for bed prep?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by snowmizer, May 3, 2004.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Hmm... I've got to do a ton of flower beds where st augustine is right now. So you're saying i could just....

Draw out the pattern of where the beds are going, and spray the area down with roundup really well, and then do whatever I need to on top of that? e.g. soil and [plantings?

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, I'd just make sure to wait a couple days for it to get in the roots real good. Its not imperative but works a little better.

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Not being very familiar with St. Augustine, assuming that it spreads by rhizomes/stolons, I would edge it first to avoid killing large patches outside of the future bed area.

As for the Roundup being "well absorbed" in 30 minutes, it should be DRY by then. It still takes 3-5 days for it to translocate throughout the plant, a couple more for it to look fully dead....

Dan

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup Weather Max, 30 minute gruarentee that it is well absorbed enough to kill. I did say that it would be better to wait a couple days but if you are not digging them up or cutting them off right after you spray then it will work fine the same day.