Roundup for Star of Bethlehem?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mcambrose, Feb 21, 2005.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone tried Roundup on Star of Bethlehem? I have a common bermuda yard that seems to be completely dormant at the moment and would be willing to try RU. I'm not that hopeful that RU will work because the weed is bulbous like monkey grass. I saw some posts that suggested repeated apps of 2,4,D may be the only choice but then control takes several years. Anyone with other news or information on this troublesome weed.
  2. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

Bermuda grass will come right back next year. You'll need to sod cut it out, like Zoysia.
  3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I would give it a try, it will probably work as well as anything and I don't think it will bother your dormant bermuda. Try the roundup at around 3%, you don't want to hit it to hard or it may hamper translocation. In cool season grass, I've gotten the best results with turflon ester (or a hand spade!) Good luck
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Like all other bulbous and tuberous plants, you cannot get enough of any chemical through the leaves to completely eliminate the plant. Only complete one time elimination of SoB is to hand dig bulbs.
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Be very careful with glyphosate on Bermuda right now.

I'm north of Atlanta and noticed some Bermuda growth this past week in a few lawns. Our soil temp went near or above 55 degrees for a couple of days.