1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Roundup on dormant Bermuda

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by F6Hawk, Jan 6, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

The weather here in south Alabama is unseasonably warm, but cool enough that my bermuda has gone dormant. However, several weeds and undesirable grasses are still growing; can I spray a weak application of Roundup to knock these down while the bermuda is dormant without hurting the bermuda?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would prolly say no. I haven't had much experience with Bermuda but spraying round-up on anything that you don't want killed won't work. Round-up is a 'total vegetation killer'. depending on what type of weeds they are you may try a broad-leaf killer. Or just dig them out! good luck
  3. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I have done JUST that, but don't want to put any more 2,4D on my lawn. I have applied it 3 times already, and don't want to exceed the legal amount. I might wait another month and hit those weedy hangers-on with some Atrazine before the bermuda begins to green up again, if the concensus is no Roundup on dormant bermuda.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Roundup on dormant bermuda will NOT hurt it. But dormant only. With that said, you better inspect it very closely. The warm temps have allowed it to green up a bit down low. Pull the top back and inspect. I've found in most lawns, mine included, the new green stems starting to arrive. My Zoysia is coming back big time. No need to dig in it, you can see green leaf area everywhere. So, make sure you inspect it very good. :waving:
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yes,you can spray with Round Up while the bermuda is dormant.I'd spot treat any weeds,most likely tall fescue,if possible.If it's Henbit you are having trouble with,2-4D will work.
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Hoss said it too. Dormant bermuda can be sprayed. Do check it closely. Realize that with cooler temps, Round-up will work slower than normal.
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You can. Is the broadleaf just working real slow though? Bermuda is pretty sturdy. Its about all we have here. When its cold it will move slowly through the plant. The consensus so far seems to be go ahead.
  8. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

What about dormant St. Augustine? Can I use Round-Up to spot treat weeds in my St. Augustine lawn?
  9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

You can if your sure it's good and dormant.
  10. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Well, I have applied 2,4-D twice recently, once it rained within 36 hours, and the other time, it got cold the day after I applied it. So I think these two things worked against the weed control. I am sure another well-timed application of either 2,4-D or Atrazine will get the broadies, but there are 3 diff types of grass that are still green growing, and wanted to get them too. The bermuda is hybrid, but methinks there is some of the seeded variety coming in from the neighbor's yard, as well.

Thanks for the advice, I am not sure it will work, I looked at it closely today, and there is a bit of green scattered throughout the lawn (currently mowed to 1"), so perhaps the bermuda is not as dormant as I thought, or else there is more "junk grass" than I thought. Will look at it more closely this weekend.

Thanks again!