1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Roundup Prices

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mowzum, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mowzum

mowzum LawnSite Member

Wow, went to buy roundup yesterday always buy 2.5 gal. jug from the same supplier for the last 20 years and for the last couple of years have paid $123.00 per jug now they want $168.00 anyone else seeing this hike? My supplier said it went up Mar. 1st:confused:
  2. thomasb70

thomasb70 LawnSite Member

You shouldn't be buying Roundup but glyphosate pro anyway. The patent ran out a long time ago. However, last summer I bought a case 2-2.5s for 80 dollars and I recently heard that the price is now 160 per case so it has doubled for the generic anyway. Down here in Florida I don't know anyone that still buys "Roundup" brand. The active ingredient "glyphosate" in the generic is still made by Monsanto. Like everything else in this business, prices are out of control.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I tell you that helps...

I never cared much for RoundUp Pro, if anything because I couldn't understand the stupid mixing chart... For me it's always been gallon bottles of RoundUp Super Concentrate (cost $100 a gallon but I bet this has gone up too). I like the Super a lot, mix at anywhere from 1-2 ounces per gallon, one ounce is light-duty meaning drift is unlikely to kill nearby vegetation and 2 ounces is "spray-n-forget" then there's the in-between ratios...

Because the thing to figure here is the concentration ratio for the dollar.
    If I mix RoundUp at a ratio of 1.25 ounces per gallon of water, there's 128 ounces in a gallon, so I get 100 gallons out of that bottle of concentrate... At $100 dollars a gallon it adds out to a buck a gallon for the mix... And sure a lot of cheaper products exist, but if a gallon of someone else's stuff mixes at 3-4 ounces per gallon of water then it's also only half strength of the Super and ... Man by the time I realized a lot of the other stuff was cheap but also weaker so then it wasn't really cheaper LOL and I just got so dang tired of doing this math with the dollars and the ounces, why I been using RoundUp all these years, eliminates the hassle.
    So then...
    Roughly speaking a gallon of the Super lasts me about a year, stuff is so concentrated it's like molasses lol.
    But I've been hurting, I can't even afford it at the old price...

So I'm just looking, and found 5 gallons of a Super Concentrate equivalent, $330 with the shipping (for me) = $66 a gallon.

And there's more, just do a search.
  4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I pay $129.00 For 2.5Gals!
  5. mowzum

mowzum LawnSite Member

I buy roundup pro what brand name is the generic if I google glyphosate pro all that comes up is roundup pro.
  6. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

We buy Pronto Big And Tuff from tractor supply 2.5 bottle 94.00. Last year same bottle 54.00. Same exact ingredient as roundup
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What is happening for us, is that the other glys are going up to a rate that they are the equivalent of the actual branded Roundup. Like Trinity, I always used the Pronto (Gordon's) from TSC . I would also use the Lesco Prosecutor. With the Roundup super concentrate though, you have to watch the price to percentage. the super concentrate is only about 9% higher (50.2%) while the normal Roundup concentrate, like Pronto and Prosecutor Pro, is 41%. The price WA droughly double, though. I have a friend that is purchasing a 5 gal. drum of the Prosecutor Pro (they are ordering the pump for him right now), and I think he told me that it cost 600 and something. Our Lesco manager told me that because of the price surge in all the glys, they will probably just be selling as much of the brand name Roundup now, as the prices will all be the same, if not the Roundup being even cheaper than the others. I'll be purchasing another jug here in a couple of days, and I will price around a bit and post some prices.
  8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

that's what I buy too. just out of curiosity, what percentage do you guys mix your gly up at? how many ounces per gallon of water?
  9. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

I do 4 ounces per gal. If I do a cleanup up and the weeds are real bad Ill mix 6-8 per.
  10. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i looked at the tractor supply stuff tonight. i didn't have any ingredients or prices to compare to round-up pro. sounds like they're the same, i'll have to go get some. i have a friend who buys round-up by the 30 gallon drum, i think he paid $1200.00 for it, which would be a good bulk price when compare to $129-$170 for 2.5 gallons. it would take me years to use up that much, he does it in one season.