Roundup Pro and oz.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboykb, Jun 2, 2001.

1. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

Ok heres the deal.....I get the booklet and I see that almost all the grasses and weeds that need to be killed take a 2%. So I go back in the book and find that 2% is just a little over 2oz. per gallon of water. We sprayed almost 10 gallons of roundup Pro in the next few days. And the stuff worked great. But I have more to do so I get 10 more gallons. Now my boss is telling me that I'm using way too much and that I should only be using about 1/2oz. per gallon of water. I tryed to show him the stuff in the booklet but he says that at 1/2oz. will work just as fine but will take a few more days to work. Now what I don't want to do is have some guy spend 12-14 hours spraying only to find out that it didn't work.
    Can any of you give me some ideas on how to go about this. And if the 1/2oz will work.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Id stay at 2%,I tried going lower,and the clover,and some other togh weeds lived thru it.I use an oz of breakthru (per 2 gallons)with mine to give better contact and quicker drying by breaking the surface tension of the water.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Easy weds like chickweed will die with .5 oz, but I use 3 oz for bermuda in beds, 2 oz for rest. Good luck Dave g

4. Ron Persaud

Ron Persaud LawnSite Member
    from Florida

2 oz. per gallon has always worked fine for me. Tell your boss that if he wants to save some money to use 'PROSECUTOR'. There is a danger that if you use a chemical at lower rates than the manufacturer recommends, you can help targets to develop resistance.

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Funny thing that roundup. Sometimes it works well at
    2 oz. Sometimes better with less. I stick with 2 oz
    and I add in a spike of three-way. It costs much less
    and gets better overall weed kill than roundup alone.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

2oz. per gallon has always worked well for me. As far as spiking it
    w/ a three-way I will mix 2oz. Roundup & 1oz. of three-way. That
    combo will take out just about anything, but dont use the combo in
    ornamental beds. ED

7. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Actually you are under mixing at 2 oz. per gal. 2% of one gallon is 2.56 ounces [.02 x 128 oz/gal = 2.56 oz.] so if you're mixing ten gallons at a time, you're short 5.6 ounces of product for a 2% mix. Mixing errors multiply so the more you mix, the worse the error and the weaker your end result.

Although RU Pro has a surfactant in it, I also like to add more of my own [local farm supply sticker/spreader product] which seems to get better results. I also like to use the 3 way at 1.5 oz./gal seems to work better.

I used to think a heavier mix was better but a knowledgeable person told me that too much product 'shocks' the plants so their system shuts down and doesn't take up the material. A neigbor of mine uses only dish detergent, but my sticker/spreader at $16.98 for 2.5 gallons has to be almost as cheap but as well as having the surfactant, it also has a nitrogen component which makes plants think they're being fed so they actually take in more of the product. Good luck, Will M>

8. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Z
    How much spreader/sticker per gal do you add?

Also, You say 2 ozs of Round Up and 1.5 ozs of Three Way.

EJK2352
    If you follow this formula when mixing your cocktails, you'll have 3.5 ozs of herbicide per gal

I'm just wondering if this is a red flag to anybody or if everyone mixes full strength when combining herbicides?

Is it ok because of different active ingredients?

Or is it not ok because you need to figure that labels were written with regard to mixing with only water and not other herbicdes?

If you are mixing herbicides, Shouldn't you mix a gal of one, the a gal of the other, and then mix them together creating two gals.

I know the answer...do you?

9. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

3.5 oz. spreader/sticker per gal, per the ag science guy at my dealer's.

The correct answer to your question is 'as per label directions'. Unfortunately I don't have a label in front of me and honestly I don't know what the label says about mixing the two [RU & 3way], but it works.

If you were to mix your way your RU mix would be reduced to 1/2 the recommended percentage as would the 3way as the extra gallon of water, plus the other product [a small amount granted] would dilute the mix. You're correct that the TOTAL amount of herbicide per gallon would be 3.5 oz, but each herbicide would be mixed with the proper amount of water.

Back to the question, as I'm interested to hear your answer, my final answer is ' Mix as per label direction ', so I guess we agree, I just don't know what the label says. Will M>

10. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

AGREED!

Follow the label directions!

Thanks for clearing up the mixing issue!
    A gallon of H2O is a gallon of water is a gallon of...