Roundup Proof Grass!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Critical Care, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Is Roundup proof, or resistant, grass a good thing??? Scott's is working on a type of bentgrass that is resistant to glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in Roundup. Sounds like there could be pros and cons to this.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

"Round-Up Ready" Turfgrass has been in the works for many years and will be the death of much of the application business if the Organic Nuts don't get it first.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

There already is Round-up resistant corn that I know of and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other crops that have a similar frankenstein gene to them. I guess it is just a matter of time before they do it to grass but there is alot of good old weed infested stuff down to last my lifetime.

4. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

There are both Roundup Ready Soybeans and Corn on the market and possibley cotton as well. Monsanto recently canceled the release of Roundup Ready wheat because of complaints by farmers. I'm pretty sure Monsanto own's the patent on Roundup Ready technology so anybody trying to develop a Roundup resistant grass would have to go through them to do it. Monsanto adds a technology fee to every unit of Roundup Ready corn or soybean seed sold that they claim is to help recover the cost of developing the technology used in the Roundup Ready crops.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Just like the robo-mower would put LCO's out of business.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Actaully Scotts is researching it here in AZ. They have a lot of research centers here, I stumbled across one that does work on Roses accidentally one day when I got lost looking for a dairy plant next to ASU. The Sierria Club is trying so vehemently to derail this project because it could invade other areas and be "uncontrollable" Just because Round Up won't kill it they seem to think that nothing else will.

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

plus they charge a tech fee to the beens farmers harvest and store to be planted the next season.

8. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

Actually you can not save and plant roundup ready seed from one year (for example use beans harvested this year for seed next year) and if you get caught doing it Monsanto will take you to court and you end up paying a huge fine.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It could be, Anteater, that the Roundup resistant gene is lost in the second generation after going to seed, perhaps like so many hybrids.

Actually, I'm not too sure of the advantage of having a Roundup resistant lawn. Sure you could throw down some glyphosate right on top of the turf to kill some weeds, but currently you should be able to handle the weeds fine with a selective herbicide, such as 2-4D, and 2-4D would probably do a better job.

And... do you guys ever use Roundup on grass that has crept away from the lawn and into bark areas? Don't know about you guys but this is always something I'm having to do. With Roundup resistant grass this matter becomes a bit more complicated.