Roundup question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cleancutccl, Apr 11, 2005.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I'm licensed first off. I'm preparing an estimate for a total lawn renovation with new seed going in but I want to put down a blanket of roundup before tilling. The problem is she has some big trees around the yard, how much roundup could you spray near them before you would cause irrepairable harm. I really don't want to replace a 40foot oak tree. Thanks

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

How much roundup would it take to kill a 40 ft oak tree?

What I am getting at is that it would take quite a bit.

EG

3. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

You won't have to worry about it. Not a problem.

4. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Cleancut...save the "Im licensed" bit for now....1st if licensed you should already know the % of effect that 2/4/D & soluables have on plants/trees etc.

Answer to your Q: At a 10% solution you should be just fine in accomplishing your objective.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Roundup is a non-selective contact herbicide that has no soil activity. This means you can spray right next to the 40 foot oak. Even if you spray a little on the bark if will not harm the tree.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Honestly I do not mean to flame you guys but just how long have any of you been doing this? You ave got to be kidding!

FIRST, to kill the turf you can do a great job at about a 1-2% solution of Round Up Pro. Why waste your money? You should hit it twice to get any new weeds may pop up.

SECOND, a forty foot oak, you are joking right? That has to be the funniest thing I have heard for quite some time. Now I know why Florida has the toughest test for a certified operator. Just to let you know so you can all sleep easy from now on. They spray the orange groves with the stuff with a boom sprayer on windy days right up against the trunks and the leaves. Tree farms spray right up against live oaks that have a 2" trunk and yes it gets on the bark. And you are worried about a forty foot oak? Oh and if they want a quicker kill get this they even use about a quarter ounce of Diaquat with the round up.

I know I seem rude and down right angry. For that I am sorry. But come on here you are supposed to be professionals.

7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Well sorry nelnuts for not being professional enough. The tree was a generalization of all trees including trees of all sizes. I asked the question to see about ANY harm caused to the tree. Its dipshits like you that make asking any type of question impossible. Everything has a learning curve and it would be a whole lot better to get a definite answer from people that surely know the answer, than to make a single mistake and have it hang over your business.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok here is the deal. You said you were licensed. That means you should have some basic knowledge. Round Up and what does and does not do is basic knowledge.

"The problem is she has some big trees around the yard, how much roundup could you spray near them before you would cause irrepairable harm. I really don't want to replace a 40foot oak tree."

"The tree was a generalization of all trees including trees of all sizes."

This is from your two posts. Please tell me how the first quote is trees of all sizes?

Dipshits? Oh come on now. First, I saved you and others some money by saying that a 10% solution was wasteful. Second, do you really have a license? Sorry guy but I just think that your question shows a lack of effort trying to educate yourself. The Round UP label would have given you your answer.

9. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

You mentioned tilling after Roundup. Is there a specific reason you are doing this? You will be bringing all kinds of weed seeds to the surface by tilling. I would consider just slit seeding into the dead turf unless a specific reason for tilling exists. Maybe you are new at this, maybe not so new. Still, no real reason for some of the hostility being shown towards your question. That's the purpose of this forum.

10. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

I think Turfsurfer has the best thoughs yet. This was just like the notill farming I have done. Less disturbance= less new emergence. Plus this concern over roundup off target damage is quite amusing. Really glyphos alone has a hard time killing broadleafs and (trees). That is why you often see it spiked with a little 2,4-d to help the uptake in to broadleafs.