roundup question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RX7, Feb 14, 2003.

1. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

Is it too late to spray roundup on a bermuda lawn in North Texas?

2. Is it brown and dormant?

3. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

ya, but in a few weeks it will start growing again. Will the roundup stay in the lawn long enough to hurt the bermuda when it begins to grow? Thanks for the help LAWNGODFATHER.

4. Since the Burmuda "has" to be growing (green) before you can kill it Round up will give you the shortest window to reseed.

5. One Degree

One Degree LawnSite Member

Take a shovel and dig down a few inches and see if the underground roots (Rhizomes) are green. If they are not then it is ok to spray Roundup. If the roots are slightly green you might get by with spraying the lawn but be careful not to drench the soil, for the rounup will soak to the roots and possibly kill the Bermuda.

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

As long as the temp is above 50, its probably ok. Round up will take probably about 2 or 3 weeks to start to kill. Dont forget to add a surfactant.

7. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I know its been 14 years since I've lived in Arizona and dealt with a Bermuda lawn, but when are rhizomes green? I have never seen a green rhizome. Any one what to fill me in on when Bermuda rhizomes turn green (if ever)?

jim

8. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

what is a surfactant?

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Its a surface active ingredient. For round up use a spreader sticker surfactant.

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Round-up (gylospahte) is a tanslocatable salt - meaning the plant it is sprayed upon needs to be actively growing or the round-up will not work.
    Dormancy depends on many factors, soil temp is one of them. Provided the host turf is C4, sustained temps below 65*F means you can apply round-up without injury to benefical turf.
    So, acquire a good, fast acting soil thermometer, measure the temps in direct sunlight at about nine in the morning - and go from there.