roundup?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by recliner5, Jul 14, 2006.

1. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Been using roundup for several years I like it, just seems that it does not last very long. Seems that maybe 2 mos. is the longest than I have to spray again.
    I read about Gordon's Vegetation Killer, has anyone used this stuff? Ive used Gordon's Super Brush killer for my yard to kill broad-leaf it works good, used to use Trimec. Seems that super brush killer is better than trimec.
    If anyone has any experience with Gordon's Vegetation killer let me know. Thanks Terp

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Where you at in Indiana?

3. recliner5

from Indiana

Near Lafayette, Frankfort

4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Plain Roundup without the extras just kills the plant you sprayed. All the weed seeds in the soil or any parts of the plants that you missed are free to come up right away. That is why you see homeowners spray roundup down the edge of a driveway and 6 weeks later they have a solid stand of crabgrass on the edge of their lawn (provided pre-m is not applied).

5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Gordon's Vegemec is good for gravel drives and other areas like that. Check the label for warnings about spraying near desirable plantings and leaching. It is also fairly expensive to use vs RoundUp because the rates are pretty high.....

You can mix some pre-emergents with RoundUp to help prevent regrowth in the areas you spray.

6. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Rural King carries a pretty inexpensive bare ground spray.

7. recliner5

from Indiana

Thanks everyone for the info. I was sraying roundup today on gravel parking while I was spraying a guy stopped by and told me a cheaper method. He said use salt and bleach.
    I might try it. I will go to Rural King and see what they have. Thanks again Terp

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought roundup extend this week and it suppose to last 3 - 4 months. Kills seeds coming up. Get it at Home Depot.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That stuff is a little pricey, wonder if Lesco has it yet?

10. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Don't waste your money on brand name unless you only need a small amount. Buy some generic glyphosate and some imazapic from a farm store. Make your own roundup xtend. 41% glyphosate sells for about 12 to 15 dollars a gallon around here. I don't know the price on imazapic, but I guarantee you will come out 5 to 10 times cheaper.