route sheets?/palm pilots?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheLawnBoy, Aug 14, 2001.

1. TheLawnBoy

TheLawnBoy LawnSite Member

Hi all, i was just wondering what you use to keep track of the customers that you are supposed to be doing each day.

The way i work right now is the night before i hop on the computer and copy out by hand who is up for the next day. Should really invest in a printer or get my dads but that seems like a bit of a waste to be printing out a list everyday. Especially because after five or six pages:rolleyes: the stupid thing runs out of ink and it costs a fortune to get a little bottle of ink.

I was wondering if any of you use a handheld computer like a palm pilot or just how you keep your lists straight.

2. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Banned

if i can't remember them I just right them down and either tape the list on my 1 gal. gas can or on the gan can of my wb. I walk or ride my sulky to all of my account in a 1/2 mile area
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm using the old way, paper, but I would like to get a palm. Import and export to main computer would be handy but also costly. If you keep a good written log then you should be fine. Unless you have so many account that you get lost, then time for the palm!
  4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

You don't have a printer? How do you send invoices?

I schedule the entire week on the preceeding weekend then print out a work sheet for each crew for each day.

Get a printer. Saves a lot of time and ink isn't that expensive.
  5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We use Lawn Monkey which is synced to our palm pilots (m505's) and thats what we use for everything, routes and daily work. Its all in LM we just sync it every morning and walaaa!! Its in there ready to go, then we punch in all the times of every job and it tells us how much time was spent on each job etc etc, really nice.
  6. TheLawnBoy

TheLawnBoy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ideas! I looked at the lawn monkey software it looked pretty good. Maybe next year. As for invoices when the time comes i just put them on disk and take them to the computer in the next room with the printer. I guess i will be moving that in here soon. ;)

7. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I just print out a list for the week of lawns and then when we cut a lawn we put the date infront
  8. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

We built a simple data base in Office 97 Access. Print out list of lawns up for the coming 1-7 days, mark time in and time out as we do them, enter the times at the end of the day back into the data base. At end of week; print off work list to pay the kids; at end of the month, print off a log and bill all customers from quick books. Works for us.:)
  9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

In the Spring I print up mowing cards for each customer. On it it has the name, place for the date, time in, time out, a spot to check what I did that week,(I.e mow, edge, prune, ect.). Then I separate them into days. This way at the end of the year I can see how much time was spent and see if i need to raise prices or not.

By the way if anyone would like to see it E-mail me:)
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

well first off get a laser printer, high up-front cost but way cheaper on ink

and second i just print up a list of all jobs each week. The list is broken down into prefered days, and as i complete a job just put a date in front. Also can use this to mark payments.

If I get added jobs as the week goes just hand write them in with the rest of the list. Works great for me - I use QB 2001

At the end of the week i just go thru and record my weekly log. If you are handling large # of clients i would recomend computerizing daily.