1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

routes in 2 states?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 16, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

anyone have work, or routes going in more then one state?
    any problems you've come across becuase of it?
    i am being offered a route for practically nothing in a neighboring state:rolleyes: :waving: where i have alot of family, and about 20 of my customers have moved to over the last few years.
    almost all have said, "i wish you came out here."

i've thought about in the past, but just this week, one of customers i've had for about 8 years wanted to know if i'd come and do his house, and he said he whole family would sign on.

is it pausible?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you have to file income tax in both states, it all just adds up to more paperwork.
  3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how much travelling you do i suppose, i think i wiil give it a miss the nearest state is 2000km away and when i get theres another few hundred km to any decent lawns, it would take a week to mow one lawn and come back home:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So yes consider travelling time and fuel, but you may be better off in your local area the way fuel prices are.
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Could you imagine living on a tri-state marker area. Have your route in 3 dif states. I had a friend in high school that his neighbor lived just over the telephone long distance line. Therefore, to call his house 22 ft away was long distance.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Did it for years Adam. We had 1 full day over in PA for 3 guys (I'm 15 miles from the border).
  6. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Is that an industry enforced rule, state, or something like that? I am wondering because my dad services 2 states(WI, IA) in the HVAC field- and we've only got to file income taxes for the state of WI, the state in which the bus. is located and which we reside.Just curious.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

hey rod,
    did you ever catch hell from local guys?
    i see NJ giys here, as well as Brooklyn companies here all the time. i notice it, but don't really care.

and did you leave equipment there, in a storage area, or transport everything? or need different types of equipment?

S.I. is pushmower business, maybe own (1) big machine. so i'd need to purchase atleast 2 more wb's.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No one over there cared Adam...PA guys come over here as well.

We transported everything (2 Z's and a big WB). I just stopped last year only because of the price of fuel, I tightened all our routes up, and a number of people for some crazy reason started going back to mowing their lawns themselves. So I said screw it and stay closer to home.

I'm even looking at buying out a 90 account LCO at this moment too as well.
  9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i live in a tri-state area (west virginia, kentucky, ohio) all are accessible within 5 minutes. only service kentucky but i would consider the other states as well.
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm just going on what my accountant told me and also my mom's business partner lives/works in NY and she has to file in two states for the corporation I believe.