routing your lawns

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Apr 1, 2008.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering how do you route your lawns?

do you use a software program?
    do you just stick each one on a map ? any info would be great
  2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We've done both.

I like useing our lawn program...we have Groundkeeper Pro. But, I set it up by using a rough grid map I made of the town.

I have a white erase board, drew the grid, plotted the customers and color coded them for the days I wanted the crew to be in those areas.

Now, when a customer calls, I can look and say...David will be in your neighborhood on Wed, can I put you on the schedual for that. 99% time, they are fine with whatever I suggest.

I can print the day's schedual on the computer and hand it to the crew in the morning. They can keep track of the time of service and what they did at each job on that page.
  3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

Hand sorting or software program, I've used both. The software side is better but you will stille have to hand sort because it does not take into consideration which side of the street a house is on. Meaning if you are doing a spray route and have houses on both sides of the street the software will route them in order versus routing them going down the street then coming back. If that made any sense at all, 8" will do that though.
  4. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

ya thats all good but what about when you have multiple crews and over 200 accts or what not. Which way is better? Is there a program that you can type the info into and let it sort them around by there areaas?
  5. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

might be an off thread question but....

fert or mowing, if it is fert I hope you don't have multiple crews for 200 accts...

If you do have multiple crews then the software approach is the best route, a true lawncare software though because Excel or quickbooks alone will only get you so far, usually not that far.
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im only at 100 accounts and i do it by hand. 5 days in a week, so i broke my town into 5 sectors. customer calls, i know what day by their location in town. i stay local 95% of the time.

with 200 accounts im assuming you leave town a bit, if so, start by giving each town on the outer limits its own day, give one a monday the other the friday, then divide up the ones in the middle however you need to trying to make it efficent. id try to work from east(mon), central (wen),to west (friday) or N to S or clockwise etc so you can overlap efficiently for inclimate weather
  7. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

My softwhere lets me create as many routes as I want. Or, at least, I havn't reached a limit yet. So, I can create routes by the weekdays, or assign each crew a route each weekday, etc.
  8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I like to do it myself. Computers can't account for rush hour, bad roads, clients that can be serviced before 7:00 AM. and so on. If you have to enter all that info whats the point of having a computer do your schedule :dizzy:
  9. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I use MS Outlook. It allows me to set appts to recur. I also can color code appts. so that I can designate routes, crews, type of service etc... It is inexpensive and fairly flexible.
  10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I use a map only, and have 6 full days of mowing. Generally I will cluster clients that are close together for any given day. The order of my clients are such as so I only make right-hand turns in between stops. Sometimes I have to drive out to the furthest point and work my way back, and sometimes vice versa.