1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rowdy Neighbor...TO ROWDY. What to do.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the crew at a home today, where the neighbor his a known **** ****. As one guy was blowing off, the guy came out and began yelling that we had blown leaves into his lawn (already leaves everywhere). When my employee stated that we had blown no leaves in his lawn and turned to continue working, the old gentleman grabbed the blower breaking the clip on the shoulder strap. After a short talk with the police we were cleared; however, i now have a broken shoulder strap on my blower.

What should i do? I was thinking of going and talking to this guy, and if nothing comes of that, pursuing legal action.

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Waddaya mean, "we were cleared?" He did the grabbing. Didn't you tell the cops that? What did they say? Evidently, he was cleared too.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a new shoulder strap and send the bill to him with a brief explanation on why he owes you the money. When he doesn't pay it, then get legal about it. Otherwise, leave it alone. payup
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

something doesn't make sense. How did he get off clean with the police?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Something went wrong, here. When he grabbed your employee, that was assault plain and simple. This repart should have been wrote up as just that. This needs to be rectified. You now have to contact the officer who you had contact with (that you talked to). He needs to amend this. The reason I say this, is that you need this for ammo. This way, you can hold it as a trump card. If he agrees to replace the strap,...no charges will be filed. If he doesn't, it goes to the prosecutor. Did the officer ask your employee if he was wanting to file charges? If not, then he isn't doing his job, and is trying to cut out of some paperwork - letting it "all go away". If you want compenstaion, this is your only chance. If you go to civil court for compensation, then they will ask you the same thing; Why weren't charges filed?!
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Fix the strap and get on with your life. Let it go. I've seen people get shot dead for less.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now THERE'S a good point, too! There is a breaking point where it becomes principle over practicality, and vice versa.
  8. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

How much is the clip? 5 bucks?

how much is an hour of your time worth? If it's anything over 5 bucks I'd forget about going after the guy and get on with my life.

I understand it being about the principle but save your fights when there is something to gain. Maybe next time the guy will do something where you can actually get some REAL damages, not a $5 clip for a blower.
  9. Mowses

Mowses LawnSite Member

The neighbour has already assaulted one of your workers. The problem hasn't been solved at all, what will happen the next time you go around there?? He might damage your car/equipment the next time you're there.

Also think about what action your employee could take against you if it happens again. The neighbour comes out and physically assaults him. He turns around and sues YOU for not providing a safe working environment. You knew this guy was a nutter yet you took no action against the neighbour and sent your workers back out there to face further possible abuse. That's how most cases start, it's when the boss sends the worker out a second time knowing there might be a problem and the courts hate that. Just something to think about.
  10. grassubet

grassubet LawnSite Member

Pulled the shoulder strap, jerking his neck, causing damage to soft tissue in neck and shoulder area. Sounds like at least 40 grand to me. What are you waiting for? Bermuda is nice in february