RP 12' pop up pressure adjustment >>

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by platinum, Jul 22, 2010.

1. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Hopefully you are joking and if you are in Texas you must have cheated on your Irrigation exam. Reducing the VOLUME of a pipe has no bearing on PRESSURE - what you have suggested is reducing the volume. Since the head in question is a spray head, reducing the volume is going to cause intermittent at best performance of the spray nozzle - hardly a good idea.

To the homeowner, you have one of three possible options all of which have been touched upon:
    1. Install an MP Rotator
    2. Get the hack back out to your residence to tie in the landscape sprays together - or
    3. Live with it.

2. He was joking. Referring to those infamous COBRAS.

3. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

Man you guys are ruff. To elaborate on the setup. The install was only for turf zones but I had him add one pop up in the center of the larger bed. His recommendation was a complete bed setup on different zones and I told him no. So if this one head is wrong is my fault. My intention, which I have done was to adjust the rotors to over spray the beds a bit. I know its not idle but it works.

On to the soultion: The MP Rotator seems cool. Does it just despense less water then a standard spray head yet still give you the coverage?

Why cant you just put and adjustable valve on the 1/2 pipe and turn down the pressure? As long as you match the nozzle correctly that should work correct?

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Man this is funny. I was just going to reply that putting a rotor to spray the shrubs and lawn is easy to scream " he did it wrong" but anyone who installs has had plenty of estimates where the customer said " Im just looking to do the turf, if ya can adjust em to hit some of the shrubs , thats cool" The answer , especialy in a northen clime is to explain the reasoning for a seperate zone and then if the customer still insists, to do it .
    When comparing bids do you realy want yours to be the one that the potential customer puts aside and says " this guy cant give me what I want" and be out of the game? Now before responding to that question , think about the economy and your mortgage.

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

How do you sleep at night?.... On big bags of money I guess:)

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Let me put it this way, I close 10% of my install bids. If I'm going to do an install, I'm going to do it correctly or not at all.

I make enough money fixing other people's bad installs without having to work on my own as well.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

so your spending about 10 hrs on sales for every install? Around here installs only take 1 day. I cant imagine spending a day and a 1/4 to sell a days work.

8. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

I will put sprays with rotors on the same zone only after explaining thoroughly why not to do it. Generally I only put mp's and rotors, which would be my recomendation in this situation.

I agree at the end of the day it is most important to give the customer what he wants. That's why this is America. I wouldn't want anybody outlawing hamburgers because they aren't good for me.

So long as I have done my duty as a professional irrigator to tell my customer that the precip rates are different and they will have a wet cirle I have done my job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

No, I probably spend about 3 hours between the travel time, site survey and design but, I don't bid many installs. It's a race to the bottom to get install work here and I'm not participating. We screen 95% of our install seekers out over the phone when we tell them our installs start at about 2x what most around here charge. Of the 5% that are left, we screen about 1/2 of them out again by telling them that if they want a bid, we're going to charge them for the time to do the design. Of the 2 or 3 out of 100 that are still intereted, we'll probably only do the work for 1 in 8 or 10 of them.

Install isn't my business focus though, we're mostly repairs, upgrades, reworks of the install work that costs 1/2 what we would have charged. It's a lot easier to sell upgrades to someone after they've learned the value of doing it right for themselves but first doing it wrong to "save money."

10. Good for you.

I wish more people charged for designs. Personally, I feel it would really increase the quality of the work out there, and generally raise the industry as a whole to a better place.

But a tough step to take for some people indeed, especially in tougher economic times.

When we head to the doctor, lawyer, mechanic, etc. etc. we generally don't expect them to prepare a whole plan of their approach to our specific situation without getting charged for it.