RP 12' pop up pressure adjustment >>

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by platinum, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Posted via Mobile Device

2. I mixed brass nozzles with plastic nozzles to solve a hot cornerstone issue. I've also put sprays on a rotor zone to lock ups the driveway curve and avoid rotor overspray.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

so regardless if its the right way to do it or not can someone answer my questions.

4. Hi Platinum,

The issue is not so much about "pressure" as it is about volume of water over the area in a fixed period of time. (gallons per minute)

So when you are referring to a valve that reduces pressure, it is not really solving anything, and will still leave you with an issue of over/under watering.

MP Rotator would likely be the best way to go given the approach.

They use less water than spray nozzles so you are able to run the zone for what the other areas require and not have a flood in your garden.

5. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

SmartWaterApps,

Thanks for a reply with good information. How many GPM does the MP rotor do. I think I have a 1.5GPM nozzle in now. The MP Rotator is only a couple bucks so I may just pick one up and try it out assumbing it hooks up to the standard 1/2 hose.

6. MP's can be installed on any standard pop up sprinkler for the most part. (you need to know whether you have male or female threads on your sprinkler)

The volume of water they use varies, depending on radius, pressure and spray pattern.

Check out the details here:

http://www.hunterindustries.com/products/mprotator/

I hope this helps. But again, as I and others have said before:

Talking with a professional who knows their stuff in your area will pay for itself many times over.

Cheers.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

At risk of unleashing the wrath of the critics ... I agree in general, however technically I don't. Take for example RB MPR 12F. If you take ratios of high to low for pressure, radius and flow, you will see they are not equivalent.

I'll also add that RB claims their rotary nozzles can be zoned with their standard rotors (5000)

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/sprayNozzles/rotaryNozzles.htm

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive heard that claim , but like others cant a 5004 be nozzled with anything from a 1 gpm to a 5 gpm?

9. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

Thanks... this thing goes all the way down to .16GPM. That is definatly better then the 1.5GPM I have in there now.

Great suggestion guys.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This is their stated operating flow range for the 5000 rotor.

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/rotors/5000plus.htm

Flow Rate: 0.73 to 9.63 gpm

So it would appear RB's claim only applies to 5000 nozzles that match up with their rotatory nozzle flow rates, not all available 5000 nozzles.