RPM adjustment on PG Magnum

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know how to do this? I'm going to call PG on monday but figured i would ask you guys first. Thanks in advance.
    -Jay

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

There is a clamp that attaches the throttle cable to the engine. unscrew it and pull the cable out a little bit if you want to increase or push it in to decrease and then re-tighten the clamp. then check your rpm, you may have to do this a couple time to get it just right.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A couple at least... it's a PITA for sure! Iv'e done mine 3 times now, just when I have it nailed on 3450 (+ or - 20) the next day I go to use it and it won't crank over 3350 to 3400 until Iv'e had it running for at least a couple lawns. It only takes a VERY tiny bit of adjustment to be too fast or too slow when moving the cable in the clamp. I don't understand when they have the throttle cable lever adjustment at the handle "disabled" like they do. Mine is drilled out so it won't hold on the threads good, and the manual says to NOT use it, however it would be the easiest thing to use in the field. If you look and you are runing a touch too fast or slow, just let off and make a little ajustment there and keep on going.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Shades ,
    are you talking about idle or wide open throttle? On PG Ultra--it is easy to loosen and adjust the clamp that holds the throttle cable and move it left (faster) or right (slower). Screwdriver won't work. You need a small nutdriver or pliers. Unless...like I discovered today...the threads on the aluminum part that holds the screw are stripped. Thanks Briggs! Very difficult to calibrate if you don't have a constant speed. Finally I discovered that I could wrap a wire tie tightly twice around cable, just left of the clamp--and prevent it from slideing to the right (slower).
    I calibrated using a stop watch. At 10 feet wide and 4 mph, and 16,600 sqft per bag--I calculated I should run out of 50 pounds of fertilizer at 4 minutes and 42 seconds.

If a bag covers 12,500, I should run out at 3 minutes and 33 seconds.

It never comes out exactly right--but I am gradually getting closer. I will be delighted if i can consistantly fall within 10 percent.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats when running full throttle. think it was around 3120 rpm.
    -Jay