Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcdansley, Jul 9, 2005.

1. mcdansley

mcdansley LawnSite Member

After installing a tachometer on my WB mower (Kawasaki 6hp - FJ180V), the tach is reading between 3150 and 3200 rpm. The spec on this engine from Snapper (website) rates it a 3350. Is this within a reasonable output range?
  2. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Kawasaki rates the engine at 6hp @ 3600rpm. I suspect Snapper is giving the rpm necessary to maintain a good blade tip speed for cutting grass. If it's cutting grass well (with a good blade), then the rpm is close enough. If you're getting missed spots at a reasonable walking pace, then adjust the governor speed up to the spec. DO NOT adjust the speed to run at 3600rpm.
  3. mcdansley

I've noticed that I get good cutting at 3150+ rpm. The engine fluctuates between 3050 rpm (load) and 3200 rpm (no load). How can I adjust the governor on this engine (Kawasaki FJ180V 6 hp engine) without taking it in to a repair shop?
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is two screws holding the throttle control plate to the engine block, The holes are slotted in the plate. Loosen the screws slightly enough to move the plate, Start the engine and set the throttle at full speed then move the plate until the desired RPM is aquired.
    While checking the factory Kawasaki service manual it states 3200 as max. high speed RPM for your engine which surprised me also.

Btw; I hope this is some redemption :laugh:
  5. mcdansley

Snapper's website states 3350 rpm and Kawasaki's website states 3600 rpm. will increasing the rpm to one of the above damage the engine? Where can I get a Kawasaki service manual?
  6. Restrorob

You could go the 3350 but I wouldn't run wide open unless mowing.
    I tried to post this one page of the manual so you could see for your self but it wouldn't let me,But I have the whole manual saved in my computer now.
    If you post your Email address I'll see if I can mail it to you.
  7. mcdansley

Thanks for your advice. The adjustment was quite easy. I guess when the mower shop set-up the unit for me, the bracket was in its farthest rear position which gave the unit a low engine speed. I have the unit set to output 3500 - 3530 rpm to conpensate for loss when mowing. From our last reply, this may be too fast. Can I leave it there as long as I don't rin it wide open except for mowing without damaging the engine? Please send me the manual. My email address is:

8. Restrorob

I can't tell you if it will or not, I set ALL engines to factory spec. so I'm not to blame if something should happen.
    I have the manual attaching to a email right now,But it's a slow go because it's a 125 pages long. I'm not sure how this is going to work because this is the first time I've done this but you may have to down load adobe reader to read it, Not sure.
    I'm more a wrench spinner than computer operator.
  9. outrag1

outrag1 LawnSite Member

I know this is an older post, but if either of you guys could email me that .pdf of the Kawasaki FJ180V Ser Manual, that would be great. I have a new Snapper RP216019KWV Walk Behind and it seems a little tempermental when starting. I'd like to better understand how the choke assy and idle linkages work with the engine speed lever.

My email is outrag1@comcast.net

Thank you for any help.

Bob D
  10. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn mower engines are often governed lower than the max rating of the engine to comply with ANSI regulations concerning blade tip speed.
    That can't exceed 19,000 FPM legally, at least for residential mowers. Not sure about commercial.
    That limits a 21" mower to about 3450 RPM. Expect the manufacturers to go a little lower to CTA.