Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by puppypaws, Aug 11, 2004.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I would like some input on how many rpm's you think the 27 hp Kohler can stand without any damage to the engine. There was a post on this forum where someone said they turned theirs up to 3750 and they could tell a difference in the cutting ability. I think they said it was turning 3400 before they turned it up.
  2. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Please get me the spec numbers off of the engine, such as CV740-0017, something like that. I will get the exact rpm specs for that engine.
  3. puppypaws

That is what the Kohler engine is (CV740-0017) what I want to know is how high the rpm's can be with the engine under load without causing any damage. My understanding from some of these posts that the higher the rpm's the better cut you will get.
  4. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I think the problem with turning up the RPMs isn't with the damage to the engine, but damage to the hydostatic drive pumps. From similar posts, the reasoning for the limiter is that the drive pumps can only handle a maximum RPM before they are over loaded. I am not that technical to say this with absolute certainty, but the reason I sated would be the most logical reason for having an RPM limiter.
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hustler factory specs on the Kohler in our application (27hp CV-7405 / 0017 spec).
    Idle RPM = 1350
    Operating RPM (no load) = 3750

Hope this helps.

6. puppypaws

pj I know the rpm specs, what I want to know is how many rpm's the engine and componets of the mower can stand under load without damage. This will probably be a question for one of your engineers.
  7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We do not recommend anything above the Hustler spec of 3750 RPM's and do not advise of turning the RPM's any higher.
  8. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

I wouldn't suggest you go over the Manufactures specs. If you ever have an engine issue and you have turn the rpms over spec it will void the warrenty. The unit is designed to be run at that speed . I just had a customer that thought faster was better. He connected a rubbber strap to the governor to get more rpms. He ended up with $2200.00 repair instead.Why push the product to its breaking point?!!Thats why it is a spec. It not a HOt rod or a race car. ITS a tool that needs to be treated with respect or you will get hurt.:eek:
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Engineers won't be able to help you. More important that a few rpm is the lift of the blade (vacuum). If you're not running doubles, do so. Next, run double highlifts, then run double superlifts, if the motor will pull them. The difference between 3400 and 3800 rpm is not in BTS, but the lift from the increased rpm.

10. puppypaws

What I am seeing from these post is that no one seems to know how many rpm's this engine can handle under load without any problems. I fully understand that the specs say 3750 without load so does that mean it can run 3745 under load with no problems.