RPM's on 27hp LC Kawasaki ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Nov 2, 2000.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Lazer 60" with the new 27hp LC Kawasaki engine. The mower is a power house. However, I just installed a Tiny-Tach and my free load RPM's from the factory were 3800 !! The mower cuts and mows great. But I am afraid that 3800rpms is too high. The Manual says 1500 at slow idle and 3600 at fast idle. The Exmark manual says to not touch anything on the govoner linkage to adjust rpm's. That they are PRESET by the FACTORY. I already lowered the idle to 1200, it was at 1850! I don't know weather the dealer is supposed to check this and didn't get a chance? My 25hp Dixie came from the factory at 3400 rpm! I just don't want to kill it. I would assume this engine is just about similar to the 22 LC Kawi's of previous years. Anyone running tachs on these Kawi's?

Thanks

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Id leave it alone-Kawi knows what they are doing,and beingL/c itll handle the heat better too.My kohler on my DC came set at 3200.Most OHV engines are set to run as high as 3900-4000 now anyway,my new pressurewasher has an 11hp honda-it came set at 3960 no load from the factory,I left it alone.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have my 22 hp Kohler set at 3900 and it's been running like that for over 3,200 hours now. I don't always run it that fast on thinner lawns, but when I get in tall thick stuff, I run it full blast. I would leave it the way it is, but just pull the throttle back a bit until it's broke in good. You don't have to run it at those rpm's, but it's nice to have the extra punch if you need it. :)