Lawn Care Forum banner

RSK Property Maintenance pics

43K views 129 replies 28 participants last post by  jrs.landscaping 
#1 ·

it's from last year, and I believe I got my lawn down to 3.25 which is challenge, because it needs to be cut every other day to keep it at that height without making a mess. right now it needs to be cut every 2 days otherwise its a mess and that's at 3 3/4

here's one from today the diagonals strips are the most recent, pretty defined for no striper kit imo.

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks guys, I was out today doing a small clean up took 1.5hrs with 2 guys total and I was on the mower cutting this mess of a yard, which had not been cut this year, and was quite overgrown. and then I dropped the mower and trailer off at home which was on the way to the next job where I had to rip out about 250 sq ft. of pachysandra and got that done in 2.5hrs. and between both jobs I made about 400 not bad for a half day on sunday.

the pachysandra was a pain at first, because I had never torn any of this up before but after the first 3x30 section was done we had pretty good system which included edging the areas that were being removed with a flat shovel, then peeling up the rest with a 12" metal dirt rake, and pulling by hand to roll it up like a carpet, then when the roll was big enough we would take a pry bar about 4ft long made of thick cast iron, and pierced the roll the short way and two people would lift this up into a wheel barrow, and for the rolls that were 2ft tall and too heavy to lift we just left the pierced pry bar in the roll, and attached a short tow strap, to make a u shape then put another pry bar in that and twist it twice so it doesn't move and you have a sturdy handle where three people can drag a huge roll of pachysandra into the woods or whatever.

sorry for the long post, I just figured if someone in the future that has to tear out some pachysandra by hand might want a few tips. I'll take some pics of the lawn tomorrow, which I'm now cutting bi-weekly, because the lady was so happy with the way her lawn looked, and this one is on the way to one lawn I have in tolland and possibly a second all bi-weekly for now.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, I was out today doing a small clean up took 1.5hrs with 2 guys total and I was on the mower cutting this mess of a yard, which had not been cut this year, and was quite overgrown. and then I dropped the mower and trailer off at home which was on the way to the next job where I had to rip out about 250 sq ft. of pachysandra and got that done in 2.5hrs. and between both jobs I made about 400 not bad for a half day on sunday.

the pachysandra was a pain at first, because I had never torn any of this up before but after the first 3x30 section was done we had pretty good system which included edging the areas that were being removed with a flat shovel, then peeling up the rest with a 12" metal dirt rake, and pulling by hand to roll it up like a carpet, then when the roll was big enough we would take a pry bar about 4ft long made of thick cast iron, and pierced the roll the short way and two people would lift this up into a wheel barrow, and for the rolls that were 2ft tall and too heavy to lift we just left the pierced pry bar in the roll, and attached a short tow strap, to make a u shape then put another pry bar in that and twist it twice so it doesn't move and you have a sturdy handle where three people can drag a huge roll of pachysandra into the woods or whatever.

sorry for the long post, I just figured if someone in the future that has to tear out some pachysandra by hand might want a few tips. I'll take some pics of the lawn tomorrow, which I'm now cutting bi-weekly, because the lady was so happy with the way her lawn looked, and this one is on the way to one lawn I have in tolland and possibly a second all bi-weekly for now.
Yeah pachysandra is not fun to remove and sounds like the way you removed it was a good way, I'll have to try that. How I normally remove it that works well is edging out an area with my edger and then going in with a metal rake and ripping it out. That always seems to work well for me.

#10 · (Edited)

here was the lawn i did a clean up on, and now cut bi-weekly and here's the dump truck I use for any projects

here's a front shot of my house, put some vertical stripes in and got it down to 3.5 needs some mulch now, but it takes close to 30yards with the beds on the side and the back.

here's my truck that is used for the mowing.

the 05 tiger cub I bought new. still looks the same with almost 700hrs on it, works just as good as it did from day 1.

#11 ·
How many accounts do you maintain?? If my math is right you would have that mower for almost six years now, and i would think that the deck on that mower would have some discoloring on the leading edge of the deck and the trimming side.

#12 ·
you are correct, it is 6 yrs old, now and I have had about 12 accounts, some years a few more, some a few less, but this is my first year technically in business. yah there is some, the paint chipped in a few spots and some discoloring especially because I haven't washed or tried to clean it for about 4yrs, but with some elbow grease everything came off and it looked almost new. but it is in the garage every night. I just didn't have a recent picture of it, I'll take one today.

#15 ·

that's the dump truck I use when its needed for any clean up that require anything hauled away, no I didn't pay for it, yes I do realize how fortunate I am to have something like that to use.

here's the back up truck, I use when my truck, is down for any reason, and the takecuchi tb125 I can use if a job requires it.

two before pics of a lawn I had to cut today.

a few after

and two of my regular lawns.

different house.

#17 ·
Thanks, I think the stripes look a little small, and i'm itching for a new new cheetah, or even a wildcat with a 61" deck, but then I won't be able to fit thru all the gates like I can now, plus even with the 48" deck I can still make pretty good time on my lawns if I have someone else trimming, and I would need to step up to real landscape trailer dual axle 18' big tex, which I want also, but I need to wait some.

#18 ·
ok I have a question, for you guys, I'm not sure, which piece of equipment I should buy, its a toss up between the 3 bag collection system from scag or a billy goat self propelled ground blower, they are about the same price. 2500, and they would both help alot with clean ups. I have a enough clean ups to pay for either one. which one do you guys think would be more effective?

#19 ·
Took the new cheetah for a demo today and I think im gonna get one. It was nice to use I cut until 9:30 and I actually was making several passes wide open in high range on this ladys lawn I cut in town. That new velocity plus deck is sick. And the suspension seat makes rough lawns so smooth. And I talked two of customers into having me cut 2x a week so that should cover the new machine. And it stripes better too.
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·

here was a job I did after lunch wednesday. The lady said she called everyone in the landscaping section in our local paper, and everyone she called said they did have the equipment to cut this grass. They all said you need to brush hog or it needs to be done with a string trimmer. well being the smarter guy, I didn't hesistate to do the estimate, after I finished a lawn that was 3 miles away. I gave her a price of 175 which seems on the cheap side, but I told her I would normally do this for 225, and she said go ahead and do it. so I cut it at 5" which is as high as I can go with 48" tiger cub with the little 19hp kawi. after going over 3 times all different patterns it came out excellent. so I lowered the deck to 4.25" and cut it two more times just to make sure no grass was laying over and there were no clumps left. then after I was all done the lady said she never thought this part of her yard could ever look so nice, and gave me an extra 25 dollars. and the whole thing start to finish with trimming took 1hr.

#25 · (Edited)
here's some damage from the hurricane we had on sunday.

and here's a job i'm doing for one of my lawn customers which is includes but is not limited to, clearing the brush, tearing the bed out, installing a 50'x4' serpentine walkway lined with cobblestones, installing a 50'x2' retaining wall, installing a 30' rock garden on the hill which will be lined with cobblestone, removing about 5 yards of mulch in another bed in the back yard and replacing it with stone, and weeding the patio surrounding the pool area and sweeping in more polymeric sand, also I have transplant plants from around the house for the rock garden.

here's the tiger cub im trying to sell.

not bad for 865hrs on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.