rtf seed or rtf sod

Discussion in 'Smith Seed' started by johnquest, Jul 6, 2005.

1. johnquest

johnquest LawnSite Member

I live in Eastern Nebraska and I would like to either reseed or sod my front lawn (partial sun to shade) with Titan Ltd seed or Labarinth rtf sod? What do you recommend? I can't find many evaluations of the Labarinth variety in the NTEP turf tests, but Titan Ltd is well represented and doing well in my area. Is Titan Ltd 100% RTF or is it a blend and if I go with Titan should I blend it with any other varieties?

Thanks much

JohnQuest

2. Smith Seed

Smith Seed Inactive

Hi John,

Yes we are having good success in Nebraska...and many other parts of the country, too! I have seen Labarinth in some straight plantings; one at Ohio State University. There is data available from them on it under a wear tolerance trial. You might also find data from Barenbrug on its performance as an individual cultivar.

According to the breeder of Titan Ltd., Dr. Leah Brilman, Titan Ltd. exhibits about 65% rhizome expression - meaning about 65% of the plants normally produce rhizomes. We have a picture of Leah standing by some of those plants that she got data from at http://www.titanlimited.com/Rhizome Gallery.htm.

In the E. Nebraska area contact Miller Grass Seed company. Jason Miller, the owner, has been selling Titan Ltd since it came out on the market and includes it two of his premium mixes, "Preferred Turf" and "Preferred Turf Plus". Their contact information is Miller Grass Seed Company, 1600 Cornhusker Hwy., Lincoln, NE (402) 438-1232. Give him a call.

3. johnquest

johnquest LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. This helps. I can get Titan Ltd seed that's not blended. But do I need to blend it with something else before I plant? I'd like the majority of the seeds to have the RTF qualities. If I plant just the Titan Ltd without blending will I be O.K.?

JohnQuest

4. Smith Seed

Smith Seed Inactive

As far as blending or not blending, there are multiple schools of thought. One school says that it is better to plant a single cultivar that performs well in your area and for the application you want it for. Another school of thought says that it is better to plant multiple varieties so that your genetic base is wider and has a better ability to respond to heat, disease, insect, and drought problems. I know that the University of Kentucky is looking into this question specifically as it relates to tall fescue. After the first year of data, they really don't have any conclusions.

Personally, I like to start off most situations in a new lawn with a blend, and then over time add new varieties.... but that's just me. Right now i am looking out my window across a lawn that is a mixture of three tall fescues (Titan Ltd, Rendition, and Kittyhawk SST) plus a dab of Kentucky bluegrass. I also seeded part of the lawn 100% Titan Ltd. So far, after 14 months, I don't notice a difference. I suspect that either way, you will have a nice lawn.