RTF seed

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by dtally, Nov 26, 2007.

1. dtally

dtally LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

Has anyone seeded or overseeded with an RTF seed blend. I am interested in Turf Saver with RTF by Barenbrug. I put down about 1000lb this season as a test and so far it looks and is performing great. It claims to be drought tolerant and here in SC with little or no rain it is doing pretty good.

Dave Tally
    Organic Lawns™

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Did you really get rhizomes from it?
    (If not- There's nothing special about using this blend, in my opinion)
    I remember the big 'Watersaver' blitz marketing thing that Barenbrug put on a couple springs ago.
    They neglected to mention (or maybe conveniently forgot to mention) that the only instances where rhizomes were indeed 'confirmed' in any turf trails were in a few plots that were a mix of peat and sand!

Do you have that kind of soil in SC?
    We sure don't!

I recommend sticking to some of the winners in the university testing posted on ntep.org
    ...and staying away from the marketing hype geared toward homeowners.

3. Sustainable-Scapes

Sustainable-Scapes LawnSite Member

New to the site so I am answering a question that is a 1.5 years old, but anyway. I used to market RTF and I was very happy with the response I got from it. My clients did see improved turfgrass. I started shopping, as all good people do and started looking 3 years ago at a product from Seed Research called Defiance. It also has a rhizome fescue called Grande II. This a second generation and I tested the product and it did a fine job and it was less expensive and certified blue tagged. The RTF was not certified blue tagged ( although it may be now) so I opted for a more competitive price and a cleaner seed. I have been marketing the Defiance for two years with great germination and color and I do see rhizomes.............. My clients are happy, they continue to buy it this year, even though it is a few bucks more than Tri-Gold.................Good luck

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I did a little test a few years ago when the WaterSaver RTF first came on the market. In my test I used landscape timbers and laid out a 8ftx8ft tic tac toe grid on top of a sunny hill top without any shade. Only irrigation provided was by mother nature. I used Wolfpack, Rebel, and a seed by SouthernStates which I cant remember the name of, as well as the Watersaver RTF. The soil was all preped the exact same with the exact same amendments before the grid was laid and then the seed broadcast sperately in each grid section. The SouthernStates fescue outperformed all the other seed types and the Watersaver RTF showed the most spotty growth and less drought resistance of the varities tried. I based performance on speed of germination, color, fine blade width, and how well the turf held up in dry conditions. I could not tell any difference in rhyzome production in any of the fescue varities. All fescues do have rhyzome tendencies. After that little test, I have never again tried any of the RTF seed blends. Maybe the newer generations are better than the Watersaver RTF, but I have to go with what I know works and cant make decisions based on marketing hype. If any RTF producers wants to send me some small samples of their seed blends, I have plenty of room and time to perform another similar test plot. I plant in areas without artificial irrigation and feel that any seed I choose to use must standup to these type conditions.

5. dtally

dtally LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

muddstopper,

What is the SouthernStates blend you are referring to? Where is it available?

6. Sustainable-Scapes

I too would interested in the Southern States seed that performed so well for you. I am a Southern States dealer and I know of two blends that they sell. One is called SS Proffessional Blend and the more used product I think is called SS Piedmont Blend. I will check on Monday.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Statesman is the three way blend, I cant remember the primary seed varity in that blend. I will note that I have suggested that blend to others in different regions and have had mixed reviews. I have also checked different SS dealers in different areas who'es Stateman contain different varities of fescue seed than what was in the Statemans blend I purchased. At the time of my little test, the Seed was listed about 3rd or 4th from the top of the NTEP list for tall fescues in my area. I havent checked lately to see where it ranks now. I do suggest that visiting the www.ntep.org website is a darn good place to start when looking for a seed varity for your specific area. Look for the nearest test site to your specific area and see which varity ranks the highest at that site.

I believe the primary TTTF seed varity in the Statemans blend I purchased was call Southern Choice, (I asked my wife), and was tested at the Knoxville Tenn NTEP test site. About 100 miles from me. This same seed didnot rank as high at the test site located in my own state, which is almost 350 miles from me. It doesnt do much good to use a seed that ranks high at a test site thats located several hundred miles from where you will be working.

Substainable Scapes, I just noticed that you are located in Charlotte Nc. One of the people I suggested the SS seed blend to actually works in and around Gastonia. He didnt seem to think to much for that blend. I would suggest that you look at the Raleigh NETP test site for your best Varity. My guess would be that Wolfpack might be your best choice or maybe Elisha, or a blend containing these two.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  8. Sustainable-Scapes

Thanks for your reply. I pulled a label off the SS seed that I have in stock It is call the Mid-Atlantic Blend.

32.43 % Falcon III

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

wow, how many types of grass do you guys grow???

we have like 3 Major types with a few sub types but that's it and seed, well we are going to try some this January, maybe it will get cool so they don't just die, other than that the only luck with seeds so far this year is in the shade house with mist, that worked real good, other than that its just cover with the hydro seeder and so far this year, the clover is about the only thing that stuck so far and some of the Bahia/rye.

well back to cutting runners,LOLOL

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

national fine leaf testing= 222 pages, OMG.