rubber checks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by two-niner, Feb 3, 2001.

1. two-niner

two-niner LawnSite Member

I am a crew leader for a lawncare/landscaping company and I am a salary employee. Lately several co-workers and myself have had paychecks bounce( anywhere from 3 to 5 paychecks per employee). We do plenty of work(mowing, clean-ups, irrigation, snow removal, fertilizing, tree work, retaining walls), or at least I think we do, but for some reason they are having a hard time paying employees. Have any of you ever heard of such a thing in the lawncare/landscaping business? Also, is this a tell-tale sign of things to come- in other words,is the ship going down and should we look for a different job? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Well t me it sounds like 1 of 2 things.

1.They are in bad shape money wise.

or

2.They are not wise when it comes to money.

Often some companys make good money but their bookkeeping skills in improvement.I'm not shure what to say.Maby you and your co-workers need to talk to the company and tell them your concern.Hope this helps!

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If they have been good to you in the past and you consider yourself a loyal employee then I would try and work with them----------as much as you can. I never had a payroll check to bounce when I worked for someone else so I can't say I've been in your shoes. I will say since I went in business I find it hard to meet my own bill sometimes, and there's a 100 reasons why. Maybe they can't get folks to pay them. If I knew I didn't have the money I sure wouldn't write you a bad check. That shows some irresponsibility on their part, they need to be open with you about their problems so ya'll can make a decision. Maybe it will correct it self and things will work out. If not I would start looking soon. You have your own bills to pay and regardless of the employers situation your creditors want their money too. They will have to understand your situation if and when the time comes.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I would offer to help them if you can.I would
    also encourage them to not let any more checks
    bounce.

5. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

You should also be concerned that the company is sending into Social Security, IRS etc. The last thing that should be a problem is - Payroll - generally followed by Bankruptcy. Note large manufacturing etc going out of business in the last few years.

Mick

6. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I would look for a better job.

7. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

if they take child suport out on any of you .
    you might have your piture up as a dead beat can happen

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd concider that a red flag. Talk to your boss and ask whats going on. If you decide to look for another job, don't tell him. If you do leave , give him the curtisy of 2 weeks notice. Don't burn your bridges.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Unless its a clerical error, I consider bounced checks stealing. Does the boss make good when he is made aware of the problem? Does he reimburse you for the bank fees involved?

Bail, my friend. The ship is sinking and they dont make big statues for heroes anymore.

10 to 1 the owner isnt paying your witholdings or social security. The husband of a co-worker of my wifes was stricken with cancer and found out too late that his employer hadnt been paying into SS (even tho it was deducted from his pay) so he was SOL when he tried to collect disability.

10. R&GSweeping

R&GSweeping LawnSite Member

Listen: I've been on both ends.... Go with your gut instinct. Sometimes things happen as a business owner. You write payroll checks to find out equipment "x" isn't working anymore and if it doesn't work then nobody will be paid. I've been there. I've been in a situation where my employer has written my payroll check only to ask me to "hold" it for a week or two. It depends on how loyal your employer is to you and hold loyal you are to your employer.

If it happens more than "x" amount of times I would look for something or somebody else to work for. But if the business is on the up and up the owner will tell you that things aren't what they should be and a "bounced" payroll check should not be a surprise.

Bottom line is this: Your employer depends on you. You depend on your employer. Be there when you need each other....

Ron