Rubber Ground Cover

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by elijahjames, Dec 22, 2004.

1. elijahjames

elijahjames LawnSite Member

Has anyone used groundcover that simulates bark but is made out of recycled tires? I saw the guys display at a landscape show. It comes in a variety of colors and he claims will retain the color for 7 years as well as ADA approved.

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Seems funny to me at first !

Do you remember the name of the company?

3. bblawncareprofessionals

bblawncareprofessionals LawnSite Member

http://rubberific.com/

That's a company with a patent on the process...don't know if it's the one he saw at the show. Looks something like a cedar bark, choose your colors.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

problem with it is that it is purely cosmetic.
    it adds no biomass to the soil, does not retain moisture, or do any of the things mulch is supposed to do.

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Cosmetic is the key word.

Playgrounds would greatly benefit from it. The only issue is, you have a one shot deal every 6 +/- years. Not a huge revenue generator.

6. landstroker51

landstroker51 LawnSite Member

I would guess that when humidity and temperatures rise, that the smell does too??

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lowe's carried it a while back. they didn't sell much as it was VERY expensive.

8. bblawncareprofessionals

bblawncareprofessionals LawnSite Member

Read through the whole website...you guys are absolutely right. They only 'push' it as cosmetic improvement or for safety. They're big on the "won't attract bugs like mulch", and "safe for playgrounds". I guess if you have one of those green pebble lawns that "looks like grass", this product may work for them. Those severe xeriscape customers ought to put pictures of blue skies and green lawns in their windows so they don't have to look at REAL nature.

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Crumb rubber mulch has been around for over 20 years. Every few years someone gets active on marketing it. From a functional landscape approach, it is a disaster. The benefit of longevity is the main problem. What gets disturbed from the beds will remain in the lawn for years, LOL.

Also, you cannot clean debris - leaves, twigs, shrubbery trimmings - from it without removing a significant amount of the crumb rubber. It may be a safe surface in a play area. I had a day care nursery years ago that put it under the swing set. The only way they could get the leaves and twigs out of it was to have the children pick them out by hand!!

The tire recyclers would better spend their time promoting more crumb rubber use in road resurfacing, as it is also used there, mixing in asphalt. But there are a lot of suckers out in the landscape business.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

There is a retail strip center here that tried it a few years ago. It lasts a long time. But, it looks just as bad now as it did when it went in. Looks like colored, shredded tires. Some of the wire from the radial tires shows on a lot of the pieces. The color has weathered off a lot, and much of it is now back to basic black.