1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rubber Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, May 24, 2005.

1. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

Anybody here work with this stuff? Sure seems like a good idea for the customers...no bugs, lasts a long time, can get in lots of colors etc.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My mulch supplier sells it. But it is $$$$$$$. It only comes in bags.
  3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

That and rubber grass will surely put alot of you guys outa bizness?........I'd stay away from that stuff, not good for any flowers I know!!!!!!!!, Personally I like the idea of re-mulching my properties at least every 3-seasons :dizzy:

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Just priced it today for a customer, way too expensive for most people. My supplier wanted $285.00 per yard. I dont know how they can sell the stuff at that price.

I have never done an install of this stuff but have seen it at trade shows. Looks great but I have some concerns. Since it it made of recycled tires and colorized what will it smell like in the heat of the summer, second when it gets dirty from clippings or leaves how do you clean it (with wood mulch you turn it over and add more next year) third how will the color hold up over time. Finally, will it hold moisture and protect the soil like wood mulch does.
    When I have a customer who wants decorative stone or rubber mulch, instead of wood mulch I always ask them if they can live with that look around their house for a long time. It never goes away so you are stuck with it unless you haul it away.
  5. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

OK, I have done a 3 hour search on this forum and have found all I needed to know. Basically I am going to stay with the old fashion mulch and just apply it every year :cool:

Rubber plus
    lasts for 7 years or so

Rubber neg.
    the fact it does not do what mulch is supposed to do (decompose)
    cleaning leaves and such
    it can burn and creat more smells
    If it gets into the lawn, it can be a problem
  6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I had the privilege of seeing some in a landscape a few years ago. Looked like tire chips painted brown. Not a very attractive look in a planting bed but would have a purpose in a playground setting. It would be tough to pay that high price for any type mulch.
  7. confuuscious

confuuscious LawnSite Member

they also have shredded tire mulch, differnet colors it looks like the real thing:hammerhead:
  8. Sushiman

Sushiman LawnSite Member

It is all from tires. It is horrible for putting around plants and flowers. Not only do you not get any benefit for the soil, but it can get very, very hot around the plants. We tested it one time here in Ohio and when the temperature was 92 degrees outside, the temp around the rubber mulch was 108 degrees. This mulch would burn up your plant material.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have seen it used in several places, and it looks like garbage. Looks just like what it is, small chunks of car tires with the lettering still visible on some pieces. The red also seems to fade to an ugly brown here in the hot Texas sun.
    On a side note, it sure would be tough to put out a mulch fire in that stuff. And, talk about black smoke.
  10. confuuscious

confuuscious LawnSite Member

they have 2 different types of mulch. one is the bulky kind for playgrounds, and the second kind is shredded up real small like regular mulch. it says that retains moisture and is environmental friendly. I am going to get some ill let you know the progress of it:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :usflag: