Rubber Mulch!?!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BCFLawnLandscape, Mar 6, 2006.

1. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen this rubber mulch roll into lowe's and home depot this spring. Supposed to last for 12 years. Anyone know the pro's and con's of this? Is this going to hurt us landscapers with mulching jobs every year with the life of this rubber mulch? I'm curious to know how well this stuff is going to hold up.
  2. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

The rubber mulch has been around for a couple years. it's very expensive. My cost my area is $244.80 a yard from lowes. Iv'e been told it washes away real easy.
  3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Good application for playgrounds, but who wants that crap in their garden. Oh I know, the people with the red mulch:hammerhead:
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

It get's used alot up here for assc. playgrounds, that seems to be the best application. It does NOT stick together very well.
  5. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

I was at a recent trade show and met with a guy who sells it. There are different grades of the mulch and can be very expensive. I can see it used for a playground or a kids play are. It is softer an does last a lot longer. I guess it could also be used well with the fake grass too. :)
  6. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I too saw it at a trade show and they sent me some 50lb bags of the stuff as samples. like others have said, their are different grades to it. Their are also many different colors ranging from regular mulch or earth tone colors to bright blue, green, red, etc. The only place I see it being useful is in playgrounds because it is not dirty like mulch or wood chips, it comes in colors that would be appealing to children, and it also is guaranteed to not fade for fifteen years.
  7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Pros; lasts for a long time, available in multi colors, playground usage, pest resistant, does not mat or freeze, manufactured from recycled rubber

Cons; Does not benefit the soil or plants in any way! Very expensive compared to standard mulches, holds heat, limited availability, unknown quality and grade of product, minimal weed suppression do the fact it does knit together

As with most of the materials or plants available to us, it has a place, just a very limited use.