Rubber Pools

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MudFingers, Apr 2, 2007.

1. MudFingers

MudFingers LawnSite Member

How does everyone handle those big blue rubber pools?

I started working landscaping last year and the guy I worked for told me not to even come close to trimming around those rubber pools. I know at least one of his customers complained about the grass getting long around it.

2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you talking about those kiddy blow up pools or the larger Aqua brand pools with the ladder and filtration system?

If its an empty little kids pool the i just move it to mow but if its full of water then it just stays there until the customer does something about it. I let them know if it stays in one place too long then the grass will eventually die underneath.

3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

If the pool is there at the time of the est.(aqua pool) Then I use Roundup. If it gets put up mid summer, then I charge extra for the Roundup each time or the grass will be TALL around it. I'm not goning to chance trimming next to one.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Charge them to install mulch around it.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

that's kinda an interesting idea. nothing like the kids stepping in mulch, then stepping in the water. never know, it might work, the kids might enjoy swimming with the mulch. :laugh:

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if your going to go for it, keep the rpms down and cut the dirt rather than the grass, this way your not goign to hit pool and you'll kill the grass so you wont have to do it again for a while

7. MudFingers

[​IMG]

This is the type of pool I'm talking about.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, do yourself a favor and get a 2-gallon handheld sprayer and a big bottle of round up concentrate. Buy what you can afford, but eventually you'll want to get the purple label 1-gallon super concentrate (but it's $100) because it's the most cost effective. I use that for fences, gravel driveways, and all sorts of places where string trimming isn't the best idea. On windy days, watch your drift.

9. MudFingers

Isn't spraying a herbicide around a pool where kids will be running around tracking it into the pool a bad idea though?

10. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'd def. stay away from Roundup unlease your licensed to spray it and the customer agrees to have you do it. You don't mess with that stuff:nono: