rubber undercoat on walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Dec 15, 2003.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Has anyone who runs belt drive walk behinds tried spraying the drive pulleys with that rubber spray on under coating to stop the belts from slipping? Or something like Rhino-lining material?

Mac

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

never tried it

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

No. I think it would fill in the groove where the belt sits, leaving no were for the belt to go.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Belts shouldn't be slipping.... BUT.......... 3M spray contact cement will do the job for you......Just spray on the belt while it's spinning.....No more slip, period.
    Pete

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I just keep reading about all the trouble everyone has with belt drives when they get wet or a little worn and just thought I would throw it out as a suggestion. I thought it might be a good more permenent solution to the problem.

Mac

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hey mac--I understand your question and for me the answer is NO.

I'd be curious if the lining on the pulleys could stand up to the belt wear.

seriously--my lesco 48, belt doesn't slip since I replaced the tranny pulleys about 18 mo. ago.

now... if you got a new machine and the belts slip....:eek:

GEO

7. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

My belts did slip on my new exmark after about two days. All I did was adjust the spring tesion for a sulkie and sprayed some belt dressing on the belts. I guess all belts will stretch a little when new. The belt dressing works great and I put some on about every 15 hrs. I do not think the rubber under coating would work all that well, but never know till you try. The 3M adhisive spay might work pretty well, I know when I get it on my hands it makes it hard to get anything off that I touch.