Rude comment??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Jun 27, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yesterday went to look at closer storage facility. Was talking with 2 women and told them what I was storing and they got very excited that I was in lawn maintenance biz. They rushed me outside to see if I would give an estimate on property. Currently an employee is doing it and they want to use him for what he was hired to do (work in warehouse).
    The employee was standing there and said "I hope you try to get it because I'm tired of doing it!".
    One of the women said her husband and son do lawns for a living and THEY turned it down (because they are too busy and because there's alot of trash to pick up along the roadside and they don't want to deal with the trash, according to her).
    Told them I would work up an estimate.
    Went there today and was walking whole prooerty. One of the women saw me and asked how it was looking. I told here good except for one area. Area is a mess. It's a strip about 1200' long by about 15' wide with about 100 or so pine trees planted along the middle. Ground is VERY uneven in most spots and will require ALOT of trimming. Mower won't make it over most of the area (rocks, ruts, you name it).
    So she told me to give a seperate price for that if I didn't want to do it. It wasn't that I didn't want to do it, but that it would be more difficult to do then regular grass cutting.
    I said "oh, you don't just want one price for whole property". She said "well, I don't want you to do anything that you don't want to. I can just call someone else to that part if it's too much for you".
    "Just remember, your just starting out and you might not need us this year, but you might need us next year". And there was a bit of attitude in the tone of her voice. Really not sure what that was all about.

If it's so easy for her to call someone else to do it, why was the warehouse guy still doing it halfway through the season then ?! And why did she get so excited when I told her what I did for a living? Almost as if they've been having trouble finding anyone to do it?!

So, what do you guys think?
    Seems like we're already off to a bad start, huh? Thanks in advance.

2. script

script LawnSite Member

If she gave you that bad of an attitude before you even got the job she must not be too pleasant to work for, especially if her own husband and son don't want to do it. I would personally pass it up, unless you really want this account, then you'll have to deal with her.

Bobby

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Be a Turf Professional, not a Psycologist.

Give her a written estimate, answer any questions and let her sign your agreement.

If she chooses another route, so be it.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Just to be clear, the woman that gave me the attitude was not the same woman who's husband and son turned it down. That woman seemed very nice. And she seemed understanding about the difficult area by the roadside.
    I'm thinking that maybe the rude woman got the attitude because she was offended when I said that difficult area was a mess and would be hard to cut. I would never have said that to a homeowner or property owner, she was an office manager. I figured she'd understand where I was coming from.
    It really is a mess! We're talking about 18K sq. ft. of trimming! Maybe a little mower use in some small areas, but mostly trimming.

I dunno, the P.I.T.A. area, the attitude, I'm thinking I might just pass. I'd like to have the job, but I don't "need it" as she says.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm usually very easy going, but when I come across people that have issues right from the get go I'm learning to be firm and stand my ground. Things like "I only want it cut 2 times a month" or "cut it real low" or the other guy did it for less". I know you don't like to pass work up, but, we need to be treated with more respect. We are not lawnmonkeys, we are professionals and we are sweating our butts off out there and deserve to be recognized for this. I refuse to stand there and argue with anyone over petty issues. Sorry, had to vent a little. Thanks

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sometimes ladies have reasons to be irritable. give her
    a little time . might be a good money acct.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe she got the same impression from you. Just forget it for now, give the estimate and see what happens. Spell everything out very clearly in the contract and then you should have no problems. As many people do, put yourself an out in the contract just in case. Don't sweat the small stuff.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

She is playing you by saying "if you cant handle it" She knows the macho in you will do it just to prove you can LOL. Oldest trick in the book.

9. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have mowed for people that were absolutly awful at first. Many of them became some of my best customers after I gave them a chance. Give it a chance, if it turns out to be to much you can always quit.

10. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think that she was complimenting you. In essence she was saying that she liked you, and would like for you to do the as much of the work as possible, but that if there was a part that you did not want to do, or could not handle, that they could get someone else for that part. She could have eaisly said "it's all or nothing, buddy". She is giving you the chance to pick and choose the parts that you want to do. This oppertunity does not come along often.

Imagine if every job was like this. You could opt out of all the monkey work, and only do the gravy work.