1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rule on truck lettering

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ben's Landscape, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told today in RI you need to have a truck lettered if it is going to be used commerically. I have a F 250 diesel 2wd that is my personal and work truck. I honestly do not want my name on my personal truck. Is there anywhere i could find out if I need lettering or not?

To me it sounds far fetched that the state can dictate if you get your truck lettered or not.

Thanks in advance for the advice
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

As a commercial vehicle you are regulated and the state has the ability to regulate... but simple enough to do with magnets...

Rhode Island
    Interstate:Federal Regulation Part 390.21 requires the following marking rules for all
    **qualifying Interstate for hire and private commercial motor vehicles (CMV):
    • The legal name or single trade name of the carrier operating the motor
    vehicle as it appears on the MCS-150;
    • Their assigned US DOT Number
    • If a name other than the name of the operating carrier appears on the
    vehicle, the words “operated by” must precede the name of the
    operating carrier. This applies to both interstate and intrastate marking
    ** A qualifying CMV is defined for this purpose by Federal Regulation 390.5 as
    any vehicle that transports property or passengers in interstate commerce and:
    • Has a GVW or GVWR of 10,001 or more; or
    • Transports more than 8 passengers (including driver) for hire; or
    • Transports more than 15 passengers ( including driver) not for hire; or
    • Transports haz mat in a quantity requiring placards
    Statutory Regulations generally follow the Federal Regulations (unless so noted)
    as they pertain to Interstate operations but may require additional signage
    pertaining to intrastate operations or intrastate operating authority.
    The states may vary in their requirement that vehicle weight be displayed,
    therefore many carriers display their empty and gross weight automatically.
    All USDOT numbers used in intrastate only operations must have the state’s
    abbreviation following the number. Example: USDOT 9321456 NY. Unless noted, a
    states definition of a qualifying commercial motor vehicle is the same as the
    federal definition set forth in part 390.5 (see above)
    MC Numbers are no longer required to be displayed on a CMV. Carriers are not
    required to remove existing MC numbers from their vehicles but are encouraged
    not to display the MC# on new or repainted CMV’s.

Intrastate: All intrastate commercial motor vehicles in excess of 10,000
    pounds must display the name, city and state of motor carrier on both
    sides of the power unit in a contrasting color visible from 50’ away.
  3. Ben's Landscape

So basically because my GVW is 8600 then I do not have to leter my truck? Also my truck is registered as a combination plate
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

sound about right, but I'm not a legal expert... but if you put a trailer on it, you could exceed that 10K lb limit...
  5. Ben's Landscape

yeah and I only have a 6*12 single axle trailer. the guy was saying that I have to by law have my truck lettered with my biz name and info i told him he was full of it. He said nothing about DOT numbers
  6. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

do you pull a trailer when u work???
    i've seen guys that put all their lettering and DOT numbers on their trailer while the truck is letter free

But magnets also work Sometimes! lol
    until they get wet like plowing and stuff
    if you buy the cheap ones
  7. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

RI is really stepping up enforcement, I would run legal if I were you, fines are steep. Letter your truck, get your triangles, fire extingisher, and medical card and make sure your truck and esp trailer inspection are current. No ands ifs or buts, the state police is out in full enforcement, dont mess around, my best advice, as I have been stopped and numerous other RI contractors...better safe than sorry, best of luck!
  8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Federal DOT supersedes any state law. So you would need federal DOT if you cross state lines in excess of 10,000* combined. I suggest you follow your state and federal laws. If you are looking for someone to tell you that certain rules don't apply to you might be in the wrong place.
  9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i can't speak for 100% certainty on RI but i do not believe the law can force you to letter your trucks or trailers no matter what the weights.

when i first started in the business i did do door magnets. but truck got t boned while my dad was driving it and i lost the passenger side magnet and never replaced it. i do have an enclosed trailer that is decaled but my open trailer i pull has nothing.

i choose to have the trailer decaled for advertising not by law. there are plenty of outfits that have no lettering of any kind around my neck of the woods. and i've never heard that law can or even would force someone too. it seems like a pretty stupid thing to enforce in the first place. not really necessary if you ask me.
  10. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

Cant speak for RI but we actually have a local law that makes it illegal to have ANY commercial vehicle without being lettered. The cops will arrest you and have your car impounded.