1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 19, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of guidelines, rules or practices do you try to always follow as a landscaper (whether it pertain to mowing, maintenance, business, safety, etc.)
  2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I try to keep it real simple and follow one rule:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

So far it seems to be working out very well! :D
  3. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Couldnt have said it better myself. I believe if you follow this one rule things always seem to fall into place at least for me.
  4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

If I owned this property, what would I do? Then do it.
  5. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Keep the communication level active with customers. Each one is different. Find out what is important to them. Some don't care -- some are very picky. Personally, we like the picky ones (not complainers), they just know what they want.

Respect goes both ways. We respect them and expect them to respect us -- We do a wonderful job on their lawn and expect to be paid on time, have vehicles and other items off the lawn on our scheduled days and don't complain, but talk to us if you see a problem. We will work things out together. If we can't -- like the Lawn Nazi says (and we love this idea) "NO CUT FOR YOU!"

It is our business. We run it. We have wonderful customers who appreciate us and refer us out (usually to neighbors who don't need a free cut to see our quality 'cause they've been watching us for months or years).

The fact that we have respect for ourselves and that we are proud of what we do finds its way into all aspects of our business and we find that people like that.

LCO's and customers have a relationship and like all relationships, they need work and communication. If I had a friend who was always putting me down -- I'd distance myself from them -- same with customers! Who needs that in their lives?

The biggest rule we have is to let God guide us through this livelihood. He is the pilot of our business (not the co-pilot). We are the co-pilots. We have been truly blessed and love our jobs.
  6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

LOL at the lawn nazi-N0 CUT FOR YOU!
    that's funny.

Communication, and knowledge of what the cuastomer expects is key. Once you know the areas a customer compares about most, the job is easy.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Do quality work.
    Charge fairly.
    Stand by our work.

just my 2 cents...
  8. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Ok how bout some "practice" rules and guidelines having to do w/ landscaping practices? Mowing planting, etc.