Run-down on Amsoil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEPSJay, Mar 9, 2004.

1. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I've been hearing alot about Amsoil products in posts lately and I was wondering what all the hype is all about. Can someone gimme the scoop on these products, please?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What I like about Amsoil is the machines make excellent power on it, my cylinders and pistons look great, and I have not had to scrape a exhaust port since switching over. Oh yes the price is fair also. I use series 2000 at 50 to 1 with premium gas.
    Tom

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Use regular oil. Then if you have any problems switch to Amsoil and make your own comparison.
    I've been using Amsoil 100:1 2 stoke for a few years now.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried it but did not like it. Had more problems with my engines and they seemed to run a little hotter IMO. I was mixing at 50:1 not the 100:1 stated on the label.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use Amsoil at 80:1 (1 bottle to 5 gals of gas) for years now and couldn't be happier. No fuss, no muss.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too!!! Been using it for 3 years now, and no problems with my 2 cycle equipment. In fact, when I put amsoil in my older 2 cycle equipment, it ran better. Plus the main fact is no more cleaning plugs and ports and only one mix can needed now....:D

7. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

I have been using amsoil for only a couple of months now. All my 2cycle stuff does seem to run smother. Especially my sthil chainsaw.

Avery> I cant say this to be a fact but I have heard or read that the more oil you use the hotter your equipment will run.
    I would like to know if this is true.

I also use the 100:1 premix and mix it to 80:1 ratio.

My blower was 25:1 mix so I was having to use two gas cans.
    No I have one can for all my equipment.

This season will be the real test since it will be my first full time season!!!!

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it is true. Since gasoline is much more volatile it burns at much lower compression ratios than the 2 stroke oil that is mixed in it. The 2 stroke oil is only partially being burned because of the heat that is generated by the combustion process. The 2 stroke oil does nothing to aid in the combustion process. Since it is taking up "space" in the fuel that would otherwise be taken by gasoline you are, in effect, reducing the amount of gas available and thereby leaning out the mixture and as we all know when you lean a mixture it gets hot.

By using Amsoil at 80:1 you are probably fattening up the mixture past the point where the EPA would like it especially in areas where they use oxygenated fuels.

9. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

Thanks "5.0",

I knew there it worked similar as you described but was sure how to put it into words.
    You make it so simple!!

10. Dan the mowing man

Dan the mowing man LawnSite Member

Where can I purchase Amisoil ?