Run Engine Wide Open?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Aug 1, 2000.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I instruct all my crews to run approx. half way up, engage blades the run to full. To disengage, we turn throttle down half way, then disengage. Also, we NEVER run full when engine is not under resistance such as when transporting to and from trailer. Sorry you guys had such bad luck on the Kohlers I've had nothing but great performance out of mine. One is a 20 hp Magnum, with about 1500 hrs. on it on a Gravely Promaster 300 tri rider and the other is a new Kohler with 26 hp and the fuel injection set up. That is on an Exmark Laser EPS. All other motors are Briggs and Kawasaki (Liquid cooled-- Lazer also).

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Dale I'm with you all the way Kohler has the poorest Bullshi%% excuses and they stand behind their crap the same way. I had a 25HP that was the engine from hell, I sold the mower and 25 hours after the new owner had it the demons returned. I had to buy a Kohler 26EFI for my new Walker and the reason I did is the 2 year warranty and a good price on my old one. In the future the name Kubota WILL be on all of my major equipment because Kohler has a shitty business ethic. <br>It wont take too long for it to happen with these forums. You don't see any Tecumseas in big mowers do you?<br>

3. greensman21

greensman21 LawnSite Member
    from utah

why do you think crafstman uses kohler!? POS

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The way I look at it is this, they make the throttle go all the way to the right for a reason, right?? If they didn't want you to run it wide open, they would have put the stop in closer!!! <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys/gals run your engines wide open when cutting? Or do you run at half throttle? I tried it both ways on my 20HP Kolher and could not tell the difference in the cut. Thanks for your response. Mowman

6. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Wide open. These engines are designed to operate at full throttle under the load of the pto. Half throttle will cause poor performance.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

MISTER SCOTT--FULL POWER TO THE BLADES!!!<p>capt kirk

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Always run at full throttle,last year bought a toro super recycler ,the engine is set at speed best for it. I asked dealer why no throttle control, he told me sometimes they are ran at lower throttle,this puts strain on engine,etc.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

In reality the throttle doesnt control the throttle but regulates the the governor, which in turn decides how much coal to throw on the fire to keep the engine at the set rpm (usually 3300-3600). Keep it at full speed and let the governor do its job.<p>Bill

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I run mine wide open and that's still not enough.