Run Engine Wide Open?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Aug 1, 2000.

1. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

All the way open. It's the only way to fly...<p>-TGC

2. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

scream it<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

3. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

85% throttle. I take it all the way then back off just a tad. What could be so good about screaming your engine's guts out all day. Exception is thick or high grass.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

osc, tisk tisk. The engine runs cooler when running full blast. Oh man, thought this was learned in lawn service 101

5. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

Andrews,<p>your Kohler made it 75 hours ??? The one Kohler gave us to replace the 200 hour failure did not even get out of the freaking shop. We installed it and the mechanic pulled the cord, it started and promptly started knocking.<p>Kohler just wants me to haul it 50 miles to the big city so they can tell me one of their horse$hit excuses about what we did wrong.<p>List of Kohler dealer factory excuses :<p>You ran the engine at half throttle.<br>You ran the engine at full throttle.<br>Your mechanics did not install it right. (He's ASE certified.)<br>You ran it out of oil. ( No heat searing found on the main bearings, just a broken crankshaft)<br>You set the idle too high. ( Set at factory, never touched it)<br>You mowed on a side hill. ( None in our accounts).<br>The Easter bunny did't leave me any candy.<p>Kohler has to be the absolute worst about standing behind their products.<p>They say we abuse the products and attempt to tell me about basic engine construction and repair. No engine failures in our entire fleet in two years except for Kohler Commands single cylinder 13- 16 horse.Three failed in the last 6 months. Thats 15 engines in that range with 6 Kohlers and 3 failed. I'll just go back out to the garage and work on my drag car motor with my son. Thats a 500 hp engine, but I don' know my motors according to the dealer.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I run mine at 3700 or so,unless its an area with thick grass or i really am jammin then Ill put it to the stop at 3820-40,I dont think the cut is any different on mine from 2500rpm's to 3800,it cuts just as good at 2500,as long as your not wide open.Dale,kohlers are junk-consider this a good lesson and buy Kawi's next time.This is my last Kohler too,I did get excellent warranty service though-even though with 70hrs I should never had needed it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

7. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

IF YOUR ENGINE IS AIR COOLED YOU MUST RUN IT AT FULL THROTTLE TO KEEP AS MUCH AIR FLOWING ACROSS YOUR ENGINE AS POSSIBLE..SLOWER ENGINE SPEED MEANS HIGHER TEMPS.

8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If the blades are directly driven by the engine, the faster they turn, the better lift they will give. That helps give a more uniform cut. The only time I back mine down is if there's a good chance of something being thrown.