run flat tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derekarbeiter, Jun 1, 2008.

1. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere 717A with the pnematic front caster tires and am looking for a replacement (run flats), like on the new 800 series Z-traks. I dont want to spend a lot, just figure it will cost me less in the long run if I invest in better tires now before these wear out. Wish they came standard back then. Any suggestions other than the dealer? Who sells these cheap and can they be put on the same rim or do they come with their own? Any suggestions would help.:)

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Run flats ride isnt as smooth. Dont know if thats an issue for ya or not....:usflag:

3. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

4. derekarbeiter

The ride isnt an issue. I need tires with yellow rims and can you take them off or does it come as a single unit?

5. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Dont waste your money on those. They make this stuff called green slime. Its about 10-15 bucks for a big bottle. It will take 3 bottles 1 for the front 2 and the a bottle for each of the back 2. It works...one time i had mulitple roofing nails in one back tire and i never patched the holes and the only time the tires went flat was in the winter when the machine wasnt being used much. You can get the greenslime at lowes or home depot. Grasshopper makes some stuff similar if there is a dealer near you.

6. C&K

from East TN

We ran slime in ours last year. We still had two flats.

I think that guy has them that you put on a rim but I don't know how to do it.

7. derekarbeiter

I have used greenslime before and dont like it. I have had many flats after a short time of using it. It is just a cheap fix. What I need is a good replacement for these inferior tires.

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

If you can't find any on yellow rims, take your tires and wheels to a shop that fills them with foam. That's effective and costs about the same as buying all new wheels and flat frees.

9. C&K

from East TN

I have heard that works good but I could not find anyone local to do it.

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Really? Tire shops all over the place do that here. Call tractor dealers. You may have better luck that way.