Run Flats or not? On a (Surfer)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BCR840, Jan 21, 2011.

1. BCR840

BCR840 LawnSite Member

I have an Everride Scorpion 52/23. I am always having to check the air pressure in the front caster tires which are the standard smooth air filled tire. Should I replace them with "run flats" or the "Ribbed" air filled tire?

2. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Put some Slime in those tires, works for me.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, slime is probably the way to go, and certianly a load cheaper. The "solid" tires (usually not totally solid they claim to have some "give" to them because they are hollow in the center) are usually still hard as a rock and DO make for a bumpier ride. Since you have a stand-on machine the ride of the front wheels won't really effect you much though.

I'd still give the slime a shot. It usually lasts a good couple years minimum before you may have to add some again.

I prefer the smooth tires, less chance of tearing the turf when they swivel around. Again this is more of a midmount Z issue because of how much weight is on those castors. The thickness of the tire should be pretty much the same either way, depends on the brand and size though I'd guess.

I opted for the flat-free tires on my grasshopper midmount and frankly wish I hadn't... Even with the spring front castors the ride is pretty rough with them.

4. BCR840

BCR840 LawnSite Member

I appreciate the advice... I will give the slime a shot. Does it work best to fill the tire with slime and then add air or the other way around?

5. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I always add the slime, air it up to the correct pressure, then drive it around a good bit so that it can work itself around the tire to where the leak is.

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Just follow the instructions on the Slime. To add the slime you remove the valve core, so there will not be any air pressure in the tire when you are adding the Slime.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

it works, but when you have to replace the tire...........someone is going to be pissed off at all the crap and "slime" all over the inside of the wheel. makes a nasty mess that you have to clean off well in order for the new tire to seat properly.

we went all no flats, the slightly bumpier ride is well worth the time saved without popping beads on front tires and nails and glass etc. if they were not like $270 i would opt for the rear tire no flats too, but that is crazy prices. front ones cost about $70 without the rim, $100with rim

8. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

better lift the tire off the ground when you do so the weight doesn't shoot the slime out when transitioning.

9. Greg78

On the front casters doing them one at a time all the weight will be on the other fully inflated tire.

10. Greg78

Where I get my tires done, I always tell the tire guy ahead of time about the slime, and then I tip them really well.