Run in with another LCO today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CS Lawns, Feb 21, 2002.

1. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Got a call from a residential customer yesterday 1.5 acres with little trimming most flat land. Anyway I show up there today to look at as I was talking to the owner and another lawn company dont know the name or ever seen him around so I will refer to him as Jack Ball comes up steps in front of me and starts taking over like I wasnt there I know he knew I was also bidding by the name on my truck CS LAWNS which he parked next to. I came close to smacking him, The owner noticed this and told him he can wait until I was finished and then she would be happy to talk with him, of course I get a look from him like he wanted to kill me for some reason, like I am the one who interupted him or something. Anyway he goes back to his truck to wait the owner couldnt believe it I gave her my price she said it yours and there was no way in hell that guy was going to get it. She also gave me her mothers place and daughters COOL 3 in one shot! told me to just invoice all together by the month. She walked me back to my truck which Jack Ball was next to and told him he need not worry about giving her a bid man was he pissed at me for some reason, last thing he said was he will see me around. Now what am I supposed to do watch my back, truck and equipment from now on jeeze ? I love people like this! I dont blame her for getting more than 1 bid but dam! this cat was a jerk. Anybody else experience anything like this? :blob2:

2. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,
    I never had a run in with another lco like that since I'm not in the business (yet), but I would of casually memorized and jotted down his license plate number somehow someway. This way, just in case something of yours does turn up missing in the next month or whatever, you'd have a plate for the cops to just check out as a start.. Of course I doubt the guy would do anything directly to you since stealing equipment is rather ballsy to begin with.

But I have had it where I've come home from work and parked across the street, a house or 2 down is a strange vehicle with 2 guys sitting in it.. As I turn in my driveway, they drive away.. I get their plate without second thought, just in case some crap goes down, it gives the cops a place to start...

If everyone was alert and had their eyes open, there would be virtually no crime. <G>

Gary

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

There's nothing I hate more is when a potential customer has us landscapers come to bid on a job at the SAME time !!! most of the time thats happend to me... me and the other guy laugh it off and then agree on a same price !!! and submit the same price bids !!! I mean.. have a little respect (if your a client) and schedule appointments for different times:rolleyes:

4. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I agree with you about scheduling at differant times but I am glad he showed up it worked to my advantage. Hate to think of what might have been if he was polite.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that it's a pain when clients book appointments at the same time. However, I must say this hasn't happened to me in years because 1) I don't advertise in places where you would call more than one contractor (e.g. newspaper, yellow pages, etc.) and 2) I am almost always there before anyone else could possibly show up.

But there are jerks like this all over. I have one big one just up the hill too. He has a bigger company, is rich, and has a lot more experience than I do. But we take over his accounts every month and he pisses people off on a daily basis. To the point where we take care of more lawns in his neighborhood than he does. So when they call us, and see how polite and professional we are [well, usually are - mind the peeing in the yard story] we look like saints.

So in a sense, guys like this just make it better for the rest of us. I've always said that was one of our strongest points, that we look and act professional. And I've been told this on many occasions as well.

Don't worry about the jerk. My experience is 95% of the time, you end up worrying and nothing happens. Just smile and wave politely when you see him. That's the best thing you can do.

6. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

Most of the other lco in my area are very friendly. They have given me leads to customers close to existing accounts and tried to hire me to catch them up when they get behind do to weather etc. I belive the way you treat other people is the way other people will treat you.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive found that most lcos in my area are friendly too. i put out flyers and one customer asked me to do some minor installation of shrubs etc. after i was done he offered me the mowing too. i realized i took the account from somebody else, but the other LCO just talks to me nicely now and has never said a word. later that year one of my customers moved, and he picked up the new people, so it evened out. i havent run into a bidding problem like that yet, but im sure it wont get physical:D . i think it evens out amongst LCOs in the long run. if i do run into some jerk though, he wont get the friendly wave everytime i pass him.

8. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

A wave will be what he gets from me, thats the kinda guy I am, none confrantational, This was the first time I have encounterd anybody that acted like that, was shocked actually. I think the small guys should be nice to each other not like I am going to be able to mow every house in the city There is enough for everyone! at least our prices would be similar that way but I geuss its easier to complain??? ????? :confused:

9. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have only had one wierd run in with another LCO. I bid this leaf job and was told to do in one morning. I get there ontime and get ready to start and another guy pulls up and we start talking. he asks me which house i'm going to do and when i tell him he says the lady told him to do it also. The dude was cool about it but i do hate it when a customer does that to you. If i had been 5 mins later i would have lost the job. Thank God for prompt and ontime.

Scot

10. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

Most of the LCO's here are decent people. However, one guy lets call him jar head(NOT a Marine). Has gone around to our job sites and tried, with some success, to hire our guys right off the job. The first time he did this I went looking for him. No luck:mad: After that I caught him in a public place but he wanted no part of me and claimed to have no problem.
    He flips us off every time he sees us and tries to instigate something when ever possible. He will not fight and I'm sure he'd sue and press charges if I initiated something with him.
    I've tried to ignore him but he continues to find ways to piss me off. Stole a pretty nice commercial acct from me this year. He's not worth the time I'm giving him in my head, but I can't seem to let it go. Some day I'll find him somewhere with no witnesses and :angel: