Run-IN with Steel Pipe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RollTide11, May 7, 2008.

1. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

Today I mowed a huge 6 acre lot that was all grown up and I checked it out the best I could but like I said it was really bad grown up. Anyway I ran over a 1/2 steel pipe about a footlong with an elbow and another piece of pipe on it laying in the grass. It wasn't connected to anything and it cut it right in half at the elbow and slung part of it into a main road. Good thing nobody was passing by. I haven't lifted it up yet but as far as I can tell the blades are fine. Does anyone think it could have bent the spendle. Thanks, its a Gravely 152M:weightlifter:

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

It could've... but I would imagine it would take a bit more than that to bend it. I've run over all types of things with my mower and havent had a problem yet. Get it up on the jack and take a look. Only way your going to find out.

3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my idiots ran over a metal latch for a gate... TWICE!!! It split an Aluminum Cast deck. Cost me a hundred bucks to get welded. I've also bent a spindle myself, the city hammered a spike into the grass for some reason. It didn't cost much to get fixed.